Favorite store bought rub?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
For butts, what is your favorite store bought rub? I had some Emerils Original and added some brown sugar and it was outstanding. I know a lot of folks make their own rub but wondered what "off the shelf" options existed.

I like Chef Paul Prudomme's seafood Magic rub, for salmon, fish, etc. I also like Steven Raichlen's Java Rub for Chicken, and his BBQ rubs, for meats, just to name a few. I don't mind using off the shelf rubs, I do make my own too. I like using Lots of Garlic, in my rubs!

I like the Dizzy Pig line. In particular, the Red Eye Express is quite good.

Lately I have been using John Henry's Apple Jerk on my ribs. Loooooovvvvve it. And I gotta say, Weber's cajun rub is not bad in a pinch.

for butts, i use only Kevin Kruger's A Butt Rub (for Jane). Many others tried, none better! (Thank you Kevin!)

for ribs, many different, butt mostly, Penzey's BBQ3000 and Penzey's Galena Street combined.

for everything else (except steaks), Penzey's mixtures are used exclusively.

I use The Slabs "Perk up your Pork" as well as their "Wow up your Cow" and "Stephy Style" Rib and Chicken rub.

I also have been using Weber's "Kickin' Chicken" rub and like it a lot as well.

I just got a bottle of Smokin' Guns Hot that I'm really looking forward to trying.

Pat

For butts,I like Bad Byron's Butt rub,or Mcormics has a nice rub that's just called pork rub. For ribs,I really like Stubb's chli-lime rub. Good stuff!

Stubb's is a good rub and John Henry's is decent.

Personally, I like Obie-Cue's Texas Spices, with Sweet Rub or Sweet N' Heat my favs for Butt and Ribs. Recommended by Johnny Trigg. But I discovered it long before I ever heard of JT.
icon_wink.gif

BBQ Galore usually have a large selection.

But it's all soooo subjective. Case in point. Jim Lampe and others luv BBQ3000, I hate it. Only tried it once though and I will give it another try ... some day.

wow, totally across the board. One person mentioned Tony Cacheries, that's one of my favorites too. In expensive and spicy with a nice mix of various spices. I like it in particular on chicken

I mix my own for pork, but for brisket, I use a local butcher shop's rub.
Bringhurst in Berlin, NJ, they sell it in 8 oz. take-out tubs, and they just call it "The Rub". They make a batch in a five gallon container every day, and generally sell out by noon or so, earlier on weekends. It's incredible on its own, but I often add a couple teaspoons of New Mexico, Guajillo, and Ancho powder.

I've always liked making my own for obvious reasons. But the first time I made krugers/janes rub I went up to the expensive grocery store and end up dropping $50 on spices. I liked the kruger/janes but, it was lacking in a few areas so what I'm using now is actually a hybrid of krugers/janes and krugers rib rub taking what I liked about each and making my own. But I also like the convenience of a store bought. And if I buy online I tend to just get what I want and have less of that just throw it in the buggy impulse buy. I really like trying new ones too.

Here's your link to more rubs than u could try in years of cookouts.

hawgeyesbbq rubs

I also doctor up Tony C's. It's cheap, salty, and makes meat taste good. I don't cake it on very thick. It is a little embarrasing, but people always love it. They are shocked it isn't some secret BBQ rub.

Back