New Guy last weekend's project Go Giants

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So I've had this little Smokey Joe for a few years, it only get used when I make carne asada, because carne asada is best when cooked over charcoal. I've also got a couple weber clamshells and the 18.5" smoker. I've had the 18.5" for just under a year now and have cooked lots on it, however I've skipped a few cooks because I didn't feel like firing up the 18.5

I didn't want a "el-cheapo" brinkman (been there done that) and I didn't want to spend the money to buy the 14" and that's when I discovered converting your smokey joe to a smoker. The previous weekend, I ordered the pot which arrived last Friday. I drilled the bottom and set my lower at 5" from the bottom which puts it just barely above my defuser. (clay pot holder) I bought new grills at home-depot and a thermometer (dial) I used the old grill from the smokey joe as the shelf for my defuser. I have yet to drill my second shelf as I've yet to decide how high I want it up towards the lid. (I put the thermometer in the lid and not the pot, as I'm used to having the thermometer in the lid)

I painted one side of the pot Chevy Orange Friday night, after drilling out the bottom. Saturday morning, I put my SF sticker over the dried orange paint and then painted the whole pot (except the lands and the handle) black (flat, but that wasn't the plan) Sunday evening, I put about a dozen charcoal in the base and slowly got my smoker up to 200 degrees and kept it there for a couple hours, before the charcoal gave up the.

The reason for this smoker is because I love Smoked Tri-Tip and I love smoke beer-can chicken. Since I mostly do beer-can chicken, that's my my first shelf is merely 5" from the bottom of the pot. I almost always smoke Italian Sasages when I cook, so we have something to eat while the meat rests. I'm thinking my second shelf will go in about 3" from the top, as that's my guess where I'll want to cook the Tri-Tip and the sasages.

Anyway, it was fun building this bad boy, the Giants sweeped the Braves during the build, which made it all the better

photo1_zps8b88a81d.jpg

Look forward to yaking on the forum, its' been awhile since being on a forum.

Chuck

I was surprised how quickly they build up. I probably rushed the paint, when I lifted the decal it pulled some of the paint with it. But I wanted it ready for Monther's Day weekend :)

I'm thrilled with this lil smoker. I held 250 for the hour and half without doing anything. My only observation would be it burns wood quick. That being the case I would prolly drill less holes in the bottom

1502CB33-5FF4-495D-B1CC-2E9E44B63402_zpsjblllkbg.jpg

Can you post a pic of the bottom of the Pot? I wanna see what TOO MANY holes look like I have seen some that only drilled about 5 in middle and around the outer edge, they had smaller ones. :cool: btw, GO A's.... :cool: lol

One year ago, I joined and posted my build. It's been fun, the mini is going like a champ :)

From a couple weeks back. I'd have to guess that there's been at least 75 cooks in this, maybe more than 100. My son takes it all kinds of places and uses it a lot. Can't get him ever to take pictures, he thinks we're weird for posting our cooks, LOL

Been a fun year

E9B8FE9F-5A3D-4E9D-854E-1C26F30D8187_zpszr0td51r.jpg

Back