Tuscan Porterhouse

P. Mack

TVWBB Fan
The first time we had steak prepared this way was in Friuli not Tuscany. We
found out this is a common way to prepare grilled meats in Italy. The chef at
the winery were were staying at gave us the how to's. To this day it's our favorite
way to have a porterhouse.

Nice thick Porterhouse.
photo29_zps8918f1c8.jpg

Seasoned with cracked pepper, salt and a splash of W sauce.
photo35_zpscdc2a001.jpg

Also did these balsamic vinegar and honey vidalias, slow cooked till they carmelize.
photo30_zps4697f924.jpg

The Vidalias on OTG along with a couple spuds, and a pork tenderloin for sammys this week.
photo36_zps8dd00b5f.jpg

Porterhouse getting the reverse sear. Vidalias coming along nicely.
photo37_zps806f33fe.jpg

Ok here is the Tuscan part. Buy the best olive oil you can find preferably Italian.
Mince a couple cloves of garlic, chop some fresh herbs, rosemary, sage and thyme.
Add all of this along with some olive oil to a shallow dish. Baste the steak with
the oil and herb mixture and the juices from the resting steak four or five times while
the steak is resting.
photo39_zps3bbed47d.jpg

Debone the porterhouse, slice and serve. Spoon some of the oil meat juice and herb mixture
over the slices, and enjoy.
photo41_zps69007fde.jpg

Thanks for looking. Cin Cin, Mack

Last edited:
P. Mack....that looks darn good! The only question I have for myself is "do I purchase the Porterhouse at my butcher....or do I purchase the steaks as I get closer to your house"??? Nicely done sir!

I will certainly try this! I may just add some butter into too. I always do the reverse sear now.
You could add some butter. The only thing I would say is, when you buy high end
olive oil you want to taste it, the butter would mess with the great flavor of the olive
oil you just paid a pretty penny for. If you add butter I would just use everday EVOO.

That looks great! tye steak looks perfect. I have not tried the reverse sear yet. When I do - it will be with this technique. Those onions look great - I like the idea of using the skewer. I usually just put them on the grill and flip with a spatula but that looks even better. How about a recipe for the drizzle you use on the onions?

Regards,

John

Wow that looks good!! I'm not much of a Porterhouse steak fan but they way you prepped it I could be!!!

Back