Easter Sausage

Derek Punaro

I was excited to finally try making smoked sausage with cure for Easter. Previously, when I had done sausage on my smoker, I did it without cure and basically just smoked it hot @ 200-225 after taking out other meats. This time I really wanted to do it "right". Here are my pics:

Freshly stuffed:

Air drying:

On the smoker to dry a little more at ~100F before...

...adding the smoke

Always time for a nice high contrast black & white smoke shot...

Here's a coil of fresh Polish that wasn't destined for the smoker - just grilled over indirect heat.

Here's one coil of smoked. You can see a few spots that were understuffed. I'll call those the "diet" sausage.

Blooming:

Here are both smoked coils:

It came out pretty good! I oversmoked it a bit with all hickory. Going to blend woods next time with some apple. The casings were a bit tough, although I think now the sausage was a bit understuffed. It was still well received, and I couldn't stop eating it! Took some to each family house we visited and then forced myself to freeze a pound of each so there's some for a little later in the year still.

Nicely done....not sure if the casing can ever be too tough, just get a sharper knife. Also, next week is a little later in the year.

That's not a sausage. It's an Anaconda! Great, fantastic job. This intrigues me. I've never made sausage, but I love it. I'm going to study up and give it a try. Thanks for the inspiration.

I would be proud to have those rings under my belt, Derek!
Either having eaten them, or made them! Thanks for sharing.

Great looking sausage! I have a friend who makes kielbasa every Easter and Christmas, this year they made 200 lb and gave me 35 lb to smoke for Easter. Nothing like fresh smoke sausage.

Both of sausages look awesome! In the WSM for how long? Which cooking T?

I put it on for about an hour at 100F to dry a bit more after air drying, then I upped the temp to 160F and added the hickory. Top grate temp varied between 160-180 and the sausage was on for ~2.5-3 hours, until the inner part of the coil hit 155. I was just smoking with an empty water pan, I think it would have benefit from a clay saucer to stabilize the heat a bit more because the outer part of the coil hit temp and the inner part was still about 145. Need to experiment with that more.

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

Back