A beginning shot of a little project with a 3d printed case(Veneer).

John Bostwick

TVWBB Wizard
Well, here is a picture of what the case looks like atm. After I received my case from Tom, I realized it had beveled edges, they could have probably been ok, but for my little project I wanted to make sure I would not have any problems when I apply the veneer. So, I tried sanding the PLA, and found out how difficult that was. I had a belt sander and that really did not help a whole lot, more melting and less sanding. I ended up taping some sand paper to a block of aluminum and hand sanding while keeping the sand paper wet. That worked fairly well but still was really slow going. I wanted to sand it down a bit, so when I added the veneer it would not interfere to much with the probes and anything else. After the initial sanding I added some Evercoat glaze putty to get nice sharp corners and flat surfaces for the veneer to stick to. That's about as far as I have made it tonight. Hopefully tomorrow after I get some more sandpaper and I sand down another coat of the glaze, it will be ready for the veneer. This is the first time working with veneer, but I'm pretty sure how to apply it, starting with the sides and the button area and then adding the top and bottom pieces so that the seams are covered as much as possible. Either it works or I will have turned a nice looking case into a ugly looking case to go with my ugly drum smoker, lol.

2z9juvd.jpg

2jg4but.jpg

I found a place on the net that had PSA(Pressure sensitive adhesive) veneer samples for about 2.99 a sheet and not knowing what I wanted, I asked for 3 random samples and this is what they sent me. Im not sure of the wood type but it was not to random if I received two of the same type of wood. I think I am going to used the darker one and the lighter piece around the button area for some contrast.
Veneer website I used-very fast delivery and if I was thinking I think I would have bought some of the copper veneer samples, they look amazing.

ne6yvt.jpg

And if anybody can name the wood type, please do, lol.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see what it looks like when you're done. If I'd known what you were up to I could have printed it without the beveled edges. Sorry.

I can't wait to see what it looks like when you're done. If I'd known what you were up to I could have printed it without the beveled edges. Sorry.

NP, I thought about doing this after I got the case, lol. no need to be sorry. I do have a question though. What is the screw size used? I sanded them down a bit to far and one of them I had to drill out, oops lol.

Hopefully I will be putting the veneer on this weekend.

John, if you have a hard time finding those screws locally let me know, I could only find shorter screws around town so I ordered a box of 100 from Amazon. I could send some with the Roto Damper when I ship it to you....

Back