Brisket #8, FAILED!

Enrico Brandizzi

TVWBB Honor Circle
Hy folks,
I want to share my text #8 on brisket. It was a failure.
Ok let's start. I got some ideas from Noe's post in this thread
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?50752-Using-Aaron-Franklin-s-Method-for-Brisket

It was about removing water pan in WSM, cook at 275 till done, set the brisket on a grate in a roast pan full of liquid.
So i pull off the freezer a 17 lb aussie brisket and i trimmed it heavily.

IMG_5990 di BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_5999 di BBQness, su Flickr

I injected w/ beef broth and Then i rub with some Lawry's + a second layer of Black Op brisket rub by Oakridge BBQ. I believe i was too ligh in rubbing ..... Next time i'll do better

IMG_6010 di BBQness, su Flickr

I let it rest for 2 h in fridge and i put the meat on at 11.30 pm. Some mesquite + some hickory chips to smoke with at the beginning. The T was at 270 F.
This was the set up

IMG_6020 di BBQness, su Flickr

I put the T probe over the grate and went to sleep.

At 5.45 am i woke up to check and i found the cooking T at 350F. The brisket looked still good and i move the probe over the grate in the pan roast to avoid direct heat. The cooking T slowed down to 280F and i let it go on.

IMG_6045 di BBQness, su Flickr

After 8 h the brisket was at 170F and i decided to cover the flat and the point w/ trimmed fat (liquid below and fat above)

IMG_6051 di BBQness, su Flickr

After 11h 17' @ 280 F, I became short in time and I decided to move the brisket wrapped in foil to the gas oven, looking for 400 F. After 11h 57' the T probe in the thickest part of the flat sayed 198 F. I started probing around looking for "hot knife through warm butter" effect. The point definitively was OK, but the flat not. I supposed that the carry over effect would have done the final winning step for the flat. That was a GREAT MISTAKE.
I vent the brisket just for 5' then i let it rest for 2 h wrapped in foil and blankets. Finally, the flat was still hard and underdone.

IMG_6101 di BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_6105 di BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_6108 di BBQness, su Flickr

The conclusion... believe ONLY in the probe test !

Sorry you were disappointed with your cook. The pic's look great, nice bark, great smoke ring. Hang in there, Enrico.

Adding that fat would slow down the cook and it won't add moisture to the brisket. Try a rub of salt,pepper, garlic and onion or just salt and pepper.

Enrico, brisket is the hardest meat to master...and it sounds like you are very close to doing so. Great job.

The pics look good! Sorry it didn't turn out like you wanted. It looks and sounds like you're getting pretty close. I've screwed up more than my fair share of briskets as part of my learning curve too. I got a practice brisket today to smoke over the weekend. Hopefully we'll both get brisket figured out this summer.

Moisture in the meat is produced by the fat fibres attached to the muscle fibres breaking down. External moisture will keep the surface meat from drying out but has very little to do with internal moisture.

I don't know Enrico - that looks pretty close to the mark to me. Keep experimenting you are definitely on the right track. Brisket can be very frustrating...

Regards,

John

Bummer that your brisket didn't turn out like you wanted it to. It looked like it was a real nice one too.

Back