Meatloaf and ribs

Ryan Todd

Hi all:

I'd like to cook up some ribs this weekend and a meatloaf - at the same time. I think the ribs need to be cooked low and slow, but the loaf at higher temps. I was thinking to put the meatloaf on the lower grill with ribs up on top. Not sure what kind of ribs yet. Probably baby back. Seems to me that the loaf may cook ok over the longer period at the lower temp but I'm not sure. I think it could dry out.

Thoughts?

Ryan, don't know what temperature you're aiming for on the meat loaf. Ribs do very good around 275. Any lower and you will find the fat doesn't render as well.

Well Bob, that's just it. As I read about cooking the meatloaf it is a higher temperature cook - 325-350 vs the ribs at a lower temperature 250 or so. So I'm trying to figure out how to cook them at the same time under these parameters.

No experience in using the smoker, I let ignorance and optimism be my guide.

Ryan, don't know what temperature you're aiming for on the meat loaf. Ribs do very good around 275. Any lower and you will find the fat doesn't render as well.

About rendering the fat... In your opinion does the 250 ish render the fat w/ the 3+1+1 method?

EnricoB... 275 is what Harry suggests. Prior to his class, my ribs were done in the 250 range and no foil, if I remember correctly (on my previous smoker back around 1997 ). Since the class, have stayed with 275 and foiling. On the competition circuit, at least around here, most teams using the WSM also run around 275.

Bob

For st Louie's, 275-ish if foiling, dry pan, OR, 235-250 if not with water in the pan. Both methods will render fat. The thing to remember is that foil speeds up the cook, and it takes time and temp to render fat. You want fat gone by the time ribs are tender, and guys on the comp circuit figure that unlike baby backs, spares have too much fat left if cooked AND foiled at water smoker temps. If using an offset, I'm gonna spritz and foil em every time. I'm not a competitor, but in my experience at least, foil isn't worth the trouble when I get great results going old school with the wsm.

Well Bob, that's just it. As I read about cooking the meatloaf it is a higher temperature cook - 325-350 vs the ribs at a lower temperature 250 or so. So I'm trying to figure out how to cook them at the same time under these parameters.

No experience in using the smoker, I let ignorance and optimism be my guide.

250, 350, or anywhere in between will work just fine for the meatloaf. Do a bacon wrap or use a perforated disposable pan to help in retaining moisture, and use little or no wood.

Back