No water, no ATC: do I need a heat sink?

Grant

TVWBB Member
:confused: Going to make the jump to a foiled pan to cut down on the mess but I'm concerned without an ATC and no water the temps will run away on me, especially here in Kansas (wind is unavoidable). Do I need some sort of heat sink in the pan be it a saucer, sand, firebrick, etc to control the spikes? It's pretty stable with the water. Thoughts?

Set up a windbreak if possible. When its cold weather wind will rob your WSM of heat, the opposite happens when its warm, the wind will stoke your fire and you will get spikes esp if you go from full shade to full sun.
Otherwise ime no type of sink is needed when in the 250ish range or higher, lower than that like 225 I use a sink.

Tim

Tim offers good advice, but some kind of mass in the pan like a flower pot base will also help. You must allow more time between small vent changes, though. Don't get impatient or the temp will go up and down like a roller coaster. Think of it like steering a ship and don't oversteer.

Last edited:
Using a flower pot plate would be helpful. Regarding temps running away, start with a low fire and bring it up slow

I'm a fan of a foiled flower pot base too. Plus, I agree with the windbreak idea if it's going to be windy. Fluctuating winds make it hard to hold a steady temp.

Windy? In Kansas? Surely you jest!
I have a Mini, 14.5", 18.5" and 22.5" and run them all with just a foiled water pan. I still have some flower pot bases but stopped using them and can't really tell a difference, with or without a ATC.
I did a HH brisket last weekend with 25+mph winds, temps fluctuated between 300 and 350° but in the end all was well :wsm:

Took the plunge today. No water foiled clay saucer. I actually think the temps have been MORE steady than with the water. It's 15-20mph winds and I've been steady in the 230-245 range for almost 3 hours now with minimal intervention.

Glad it's working for ya. Just be careful with the "intervention". If the phrase "catching temps on the way up" means anything, it means everything when there's mass in the pan.

Back