What mods have you done that you did not like?

Dale Nichols

TVWBB Super Fan
Both my 18 and 22 are stock right now. I bought the hinges,Cajun Bandit doors with the compression latches and center section handles for both but have not installed them yet. I want to do more but can't decide which ones left are really worth it like gaskets and grate handles ect... I have seen all the mods out there but nobody ever says I did it and don't like it. This type of question might make a good poll.

I guess you can post the I love ones to.

Last edited:
I installed the grommets from Cajun Bandit, but then realized that it was easier for me to "slot" the WSM which I like a lot better. I did the Cajun Bandit door with compression handle...love it.

I want to add the slot for the probe wires and add wheels/casters to the legs, other than that i think i'd be content. But right now my 2 18.5s are stock.

I did the nomex gasket mod on both my 18.5 and 22.5. The one on the 18.5 worked well and did a good job of helping to seal the door. The door on the 22.5 was apparently too jacked up to be saved by nomex, so I'm ordering a Cajun Bandit door & compression handle for it. I suspect that the Cajun Bandit door would have worked fine without the nomex gasket, so the nomex gasket mod on the 22.5 probably turned out to be a waste of time and money. In hindsight, I wish I would have just gone straight to the Cajun Bandit doors on both instead of using the nomex gasket mod.

Last edited:
Mid-section handles IMO are a must do on any sized WSM. Wheels are second, and doing the double grate mod and wiring it to the charcoal ring is all I need.:wsm:

Tim

That's interesting Tim. The first thing that popped into my mind was the mid section handles. I never use them.

Putting handles on the lower cooking grate, cutting a notch, and adding a second charcoal grate positioned at 90* to the original are my must do mods.

Last edited:
Seems we may have hijacked the original posters thread. Woops...

- I did the gaskets and the SS door and she is as tight as a drum now. One hour from closed vents until cool to the touch.
- I replaced the Weber door handle with a compression latch as the original didn't seem like it would last long with the gaskets.
- I did the firebasket mod with the two 90* grates, stainless steel zipties to hold them and the ring together, and four "handles" so that I can place my upper grilling rack on it to cook directly over the coals.
- I have an interest in adding handles, especially the mod where there is a table rack that goes through the handle, but I have not done that yet.
- No interest in wheels. Will not be moving it much, and if I do, I can make a couple trips.
- Mine is a 2014, so I did not need the therm grommets.
- Bought an IQ120 for long cooks and modded a rainbox for it. Won't use it for daily cooks, just anything over night. Between it and my Maverick, I should be fine.
- That hinged lid sounds interesting, but... I don't know. Not sure on it yet. Not saying anything bad about it. More about my need.

Last edited:
i have the 2014 18.5 wsm added the bbq guru grommet and i do like it but the notch is way more convenient,I did the nomex gasket around the door and lid along with the cajun bandit door and south co compression latch and its super tight couldnt be happier,got the divi q for long cooks and does what its supposed to

I've been pretty lucky with my mods. I like the low profile handles on my 22 but removed the handles from my 18. It's just handier to hold at the top. I also removed the probe grommets from my 18" and cut slots in both of my cookers.

It's not really a mod, but I regret buying the rib rack. I used it a couple of times, didn't like how it worked or the results, and have never used it since. Guess I could post a classified ad ... rib rack, like new, used twice.

Still on gadgets instead of mods ... best purchases so far - Maverick et-732, GrillGrates, Weber Chimney, Ove Glove, and getting the 22.5 wsm to supplement the 18.5 wsm.

Existing bolt-hole grommet (dont remember if it was BBQ Guru or CB)- didnt like, as it was not big enough for 4 probes (2xDigiQ, 2xMaverick) at once. (I used a piece of threaded tubing, and it works great.)

OK, but won't write home to momma: 90 degree charcoal grates and grate handles.

Others I like a lot on my 22.5: hinge (Unknown), Harbor Freight movers wheel, mid-section handles, CB door with compression latch

It's not really a mod, but I regret buying the rib rack. I used it a couple of times, didn't like how it worked or the results, and have never used it since. Guess I could post a classified ad ... rib rack, like new, used twice.

Still on gadgets instead of mods ... best purchases so far - Maverick et-732, GrillGrates, Weber Chimney, Ove Glove, and getting the 22.5 wsm to supplement the 18.5 wsm.

I hear ya on the rib rack, and have several different ones in the shed. All of the ones that are readily available are really only suitable for half slabs. Rolling and skewering works really good, though.

OK, to stay with the OP, one mod I don't like is adding a Tel-Tru therm on my 08 Lid. They came without a therm, so I used a turkey fryer therm stuck into the top vent, and everything went okay-doky for my first year.
Then I added the TT and temps were confusing, because of the different location, and how I was used to using my WSM. I keep it now as just a hood ornament, and trust my TF therm, cause I like the results better.

Tim

I did CB doors and compression latch, installed grommets from pipe nipples, and removed thermometer in lid to install another vent, and installed temp controllers. Wouldn't change any of them but really think the CB doors and compression latch are the best upgrade along with temp controllers. Probably could do without the additional top vent, but I really don't care what the temperature is way up there and it was so far off from grate temp it was useless.

Last edited:
I've done the CB door, compresion latch, gromets, and the CB extended fire ring as well as the CB rotisseire. I don't see much value with the extended charcoal ring. I don't do many very long cooks (all mostly under 8 hours) but it was part of the "CB Pimp kit". I love the door and the compression latch. I'm not too thrilled with the gromets. I got used to running the probes through the top vent. The gromets are nice, but if I did it again I'd just cut a notch.

I have a 22" WSM that leaked out of the door and between the body and lid, so I bought the Nomex gasket kit to resolve the issue.

Still leaks out the door, but the lid is sealed now.

On the plus side, I had extra Nomex gasket, so my HeaterMeter fan seal is now great too.

Back