All Beef Hot Dog Recipe?

I want to do a good All Beef hotdog but my first try was pretty so-so. i ended up losing most of the fat when cooked and it was just a "hunk of meat" not great flavor or texture. I need to go through the steps carefully and figure out how to maintain temperature control to ensure I get a juicy dog. And even though my quest is for an "All Beef", I really like the link to the Chicago Spicy Hot Link. I will likely try it too though without the natural casing since the ones we get here are a bit suspect. But pork belly is available and I make a lot of bacon so that is on hand as well.

Hot dogs are the true test of a great sausagemaker, IMHO...they're one of the most difficult sausages to make really well and consistently....one of the secrets is removing as much connective tissue as possible.

Adapted from Charcuterie by Ruhlman and Polcyn.

All-Beef Franks

1 Kilo Beef Chuck (2.2 lbs.) (20-25% fat)
15 grams salt
1/2 tsp. Cure #1
1/2 to 1 cup cold water
1 Tbsp. Colman's Mustard Powder (9 grams)
2 tsp. Hungarian Paprika (6 grams)
1 tsp. Ground Coriander (3 grams)
1/4 tsp. Ground White Pepper (1 gram)
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder (1.5 grams)
2 Tbsp. light corn syrup (30 ml.)

If the texture is too soft you may want to consider adding phosphates.

Step One: Grind beef through small dye.

Step Two: Add salt, pink salt, and water to meat and combine by hand. Let cure in fridge for 24 hours.

Step three: Add remainder of ingredients and mix thoroughly by hand. Freeze mixture.

Step Four: Regrind mixture through smallest dye. Freeze mixture.

Step Five: Puree in food processor into uniform paste. Freeze mixture.

Step Six: Stuff mixture into casings. Twist off into 6″ links.

Step Seven: Hot smoke hot dogs to safe internal temp. (I cold smoke mine, then steam to proper temperature.)

Here's a article by Michael Ruhlman that has some interesting information....

http://ruhlman.com/2006/11/dogs/

HTH

~Martin

Back