Water Pan -- What Fools These Mortals Be

Eugene A

TVWBB Fan
Hello, Everyone:

I figured that the title would be an attention grabber or would just make people continue searching for something more interesting.

I ran a test burn on my WSM. The WSM is pretty much seasoned. I've been using it exclusively for ribs and pork butt. I want to try something different, something that would be done at a higher temp than ribs and butts. I used KB, full charcoal basket, no wood, empty foiled water pan. I wanted to see how the temps would be impacted, e.g. how fast the temp would rise/fall, how fast it would react to opening/closing the dampers, what the max temp would be, whether or not the temp would hold better/worse than if I put water in the pan.

Just for s***s and giggles I lit the basket using only six briquettes; so, it took quite a while for the cooker to come up to temp. Once it did reach temp, i.e. 350 degrees (my target for this test), which took about two hours, I started fiddling with the lower dampers, not getting freaked out if the temp rose/fell by 10-20 degrees.

The temp rose steadily, topping out at 381 before I started closing the lower dampers 1/2, leaving the top fully open. I ended the test at 4pm (having started at 1pm) with the cooker temp at 376. I used my Maverick to monitor cooker temp. Compared to the dome thermometer, the dome thermometer was well below the reading on the Maverick for all readings.

I'm doing this because I want to try smoking chicken. I've been reading on a few barbecue chat groups that many people do chicken at higher temps and with no water in the water pan. I've done chicken on my kettle, but not smoked. Someone told me that there's probably not much difference between doing the chicken on the kettle v doing chicken on the WSM, except that it would be easier with the WSM since it's all indirect (keeping the empty water pan in place).

So, my conclusion is that if I'm going to use my WSM to do chicken, then no water in the pan, shoot for a cooker temp of around 350, putting the wood on the coals after the cooker has reached temp, and very little wood, maybe one or two chunks at most, and figure about 60-90 minutes or until the meat reaches proper temp.

So, tell me, my 'que brethren and brethrenettes, did I reinvent the wheel with this test burn?

Yep, you have a hot running WSM, just like me, perfect for chicken. :wsm:
Some have to add an extra top vent or two to get close to 400.
Now see how it runs with a load of meat on there. You might have to prop the door open a bit or crack the lid. A lot of variables come into play on HH cooks especially the weather.

Tim

i just did some whole chickens on my 18.5 wsm no water at 325* but i did run my digi Q,im yet to do it without my digi Q,to be honest it tasted the same as when i do it on my kettle (to me),go for it and good luck

I have added a 2nd lid vent to my 18.5 to do higher heat cooks. I have not been able to test it in warm / summer temps but last weekend I did some chicken wings and a meatloaf with an empty pan and I was able to run between 325 and 375 (guessing here, the gauge needle was pointing straight down).

I actually choked the bottom vents down 1/2 way to hold 350. I used 2 chimneys with a layer of fresh KBB on bottom and the rest filled with a mix of used and fresh lump. In lower temps I had to run all vents wide open to run between 325 ans 350.

Totally off-topic, but I'll do it anyway.
midsummernightsdream3.jpg

"What fools these mortals be." Spoken by the late Mickey Rooney as Puck (aka Robin Goodfellow).

EXCELLENT! But, it's my faux pas. His character is Puck. My reference was to Pan. I have to go back to re-read my classics.

My last cook of chicken thighs, and the only one that smoked great chicken, I removed the water pan completely. The other cooks created some black, rubbery skin. All vents open, no pan, I was hovering around 380+ for the whole cook.

My last cook of chicken thighs, and the only one that smoked great chicken, I removed the water pan completely. The other cooks created some black, rubbery skin. All vents open, no pan, I was hovering around 380+ for the whole cook.

It's been a while since I cooked any direct in my wsm since I usually have to cook more than one grates worth. That's a really good way to cook chicken though, if you don't forget to flip 'em.

I've been doing chicken thighs and chicken wings in very similar ways: around 360, no pan, and using GrillGrates as a bit of a diffuser (wings 45 minutes & thighs around 60-80 minutes, paying attention to temp). I can't tell a lot of difference between doing them on the kettle or in the wsm, so usually do them in the kettle, unless I'm doing a large batch and need the second grate of the wsm. I actually prefer using the kettle, mainly for ease of use, but I also think the reflective heat hitting them from the top (using the kettle) seems to give me better color on the tops without flipping.

Another good high heat method without using as much charcoal as filling the ring and then doing the minion is using a full chimney lit, dumping it then adding another full unlit to the top. Once all is lit, start cooking with all vents open. No adjusting and you will get close to 3 hours. Plenty of time for chicken or a rib roast

Back