Ordered my 22" WSM now which thermostat should I go with

AdamTriwor

My WSM should be arriving this weekend. I've been reading how you can't rely on the thermostat that comes with the WSM. I'm sure just like what size WSM is best, thermometers are a matter of preference as we'll. I found the maverick 733 on Amazon which looks pretty good. Are any other thermometers worth considering? Since I'm new to smoking I don't want to invest in a ATC system yet.

Last edited:
I assume you are really talking about thermometers rather than thermostats here and I've found that the supplied lid thermometer is adequate for my needs. After a few cooks when your smoker has become "seasoned", you'll find that you can readily figure out the correct vent configurations to hold acceptable temperatures referring to the lid thermometer for trend information. To me, it's just barbecue and not a science experiment requiring extreme precision.

A probe type thermometer system (Maverick) eliminates experimentation.
The bimetal lid thermometer requires experimentation and some Kentucky Windage.

YMMV

Ha. Sorry. Yes I meant a thermometer. Not sure where thermostat came from? Probably because all I've been thinking about is when is the cold weather in NY going away.

Ha. Sorry. Yes I meant a thermometer. Not sure where thermostat came from? Probably because all I've been thinking about is when is the cold weather in NY going away.

dont ever let the cold stop you from smoking and grilling

I realize that the majority of people recommend the Maverick on here, but I have the Thermoworks 8060 and I love it. Thermoworks has the best customer service and people, and you can get a heavy duty probe cable to eliminate some of the problems I have heard people complain about with the maverick.

I also have an instant read thermoworks thermapen and it is DA BOMB, lol

+1 on what Rick Body says , Thermoworks , I have tried others and find the thermoworks to be better , jmo . They can be a little pricey , but worth it . I also have the TW8060 2 Channel .

The downside of thermoworks is they dont have wireless ones. Blutooth is buggy in any distances throgh walls etc, i have the thermoworks 2 channel too but i have to be at the cooker to read it. The maverick you will be able to read from inside.

The Mav owns the backyard BBQ enthusiast's price point for a wireless system.
I have not tried them, but bbqequipmentstore has a more robust, US made replacement probe for the Mav.

I'd start with the Maverick and learn fire control using that. After a year or so of doing that, you may get the urge to go with an Automatic Temp Control (ATC) unit, like the PitmasterIQ or one of the BBQ Guru offerings. After 3 years, and adding a second wsm, I'm finally taking the ATC plunge with a BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi. Still, I absolutely love my Mavericks.

Back