New Raspberry Pi Compute Module

Yah, cool indeed! I can foresee lots of Frankenstein projects in the future with rows of compute modules in them. Not sure if it will impact the HM project, cause you basically need to build a motherboard to use this module. I guess besides the processor we only use the USB ports with the HM, and possibly the HDMI. At a minimum the HM board would need to be re-designed to include the USB hardware for the Rpi, but I am guessing they are making it pretty easy to put together circuits to handle these functions they have removed. It will be interesting to read Bryan's take on this new Pi Compute Module (PiCM?)

I would imagine we'll see a variety of I/O board designs that address differing needs and one of those will probably be a good fit for the HM project. It should help in reducing the overall size of the HM.

That's pretty nice but I don't think it will reduce the footprint of the HM very much once you add on the necessary connectors that the pi module is missing.

I assume so, but wonder if any I/O board will have the particular set of features we need to make a HM... If not, then you are looking at a 3 board setup with Compute Module, I/O Board and HM Module, which seems to be getting more complicated (and maybe even larger) rather than simpler. The Compute Module was designed to interface with custom motherboards, and generic I/O boards will likely be bulky and include features we do not need, so I would guess it would be more ideal to add the USB hardware to the HM board and plug the Compute Module right into it if the HM moves in this direction.

The HM uses the rpi to flash the atmega and to provide an IP stack. It's not using any of the existing components on the rpi other than the USB port for wireless. Using this compute module could also pose some new problems as you need to load the OS via USB since the 4GB storage is on the compute module as well.

Considering the current price of an rpi is already so low, I don't really expect this new compute module to make it any cheaper, but it's got all sorts of potential for other use cases.

Last edited:
Yeah that's a cool little product but it doesn't make anything better. You still need networking, an ADC, and all the HeaterMeter I/O (power, blower, servo, 4x probe) which makes it virtually the same size. Also, soldering that DIMM connector by hand would be pretty tough for a solder-newbie.

If they made something with integrated WiFi and the eMMC, that would be a step in the right direction.

Back