Heat Diffuser?

Jon Masin

Could someone tell me what is the best heat diffuser to use in my Mini smoker? I have a 12" terra cotta base, 12" pizza pan(aluminum), 9.5" terra cotta base and a 9" stainless steel cake pan or the steamer try with holes. Thanks, Jon

Jon, I wrapped my steamer tray with foil, and use it as my diffuser. I would stay away from terra cotta as I view it as more of a heat sink than a diffuser. I rest my diffuser about a half inch above the bottom of my pot on flanges I cut from the bottom of the pot. It weighs next to nothing, and it's one less thing I had to buy. Good luck,
Tim

Jon, I wrapped my steamer tray with foil, and use it as my diffuser. I would stay away from terra cotta as I view it as more of a heat sink than a diffuser. I rest my diffuser about a half inch above the bottom of my pot on flanges I cut from the bottom of the pot. It weighs next to nothing, and it's one less thing I had to buy. Good luck,
Tim

Tim, would the holes in the steamer tray allow too much direct heat to reach the meat? Did you wrap the tray for clean up purposes or to block the holes? I have read that some people use the steamer tray without any tinfoil. In your opinion, would this be better? After the terra cotta heats up, it seems as if it would act as a good and stable heat source. Why do so many individuals recommend the terra cotta base as a diffuser? Are you suggesting that the terra cotta base absorbs too much of the heat and wastes fuel? Is the purpose of the diffuser to block/deflect direct heat? I am confused. I want to incorporate the best diffuser possible. I will gladly pay a little extra for quality. Thanks for your response.

Jon

Last edited:
Jon, I have my steamer tray wrapped to block the holes. It's my opinion, that the terra cotta does absorb heat. To me, the object is to get the most out of every piece of charcoal I cram into the bottom of my SJG, and if any of that fuel is spent warming up a clay saucer, (again only my opinion) that fuel is waisted. Yes, the foiled tray does little more than block the heat and force it to go around the edge of the tray. Lots of people use the terra cotta trays and seem to like them. I know I tried the foiled steamer tray because it was free and something different that I hadn't seen done before. But, I cut the bottom of my pot differently then anyone else has as well. I can tell you this, I don't know if it is due to the use of a diffuser and not a sink, but 10+ hours on a full load of Stubbs is nothing unusual for my little mini. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Tim

Thank You Tim. Jon. I just want to use the most practical and efficient diffuser possible. I do think the terra cotta base would absorb a lot of fuel!

Last edited:
Jon;
I use the base from the little charcoal grill available from Ace Hardware for my heat diffuser;

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1294186&cp=11757149

I ran stainless steel screws through the groove that forms the ledge in the original steamer pot (three of them) to support the rim of the charcoal bowl from the grill. It works perfectly as a heat deflector. I run it dry but foil the deflector to make for easy clean up. I have NO problem maintaining temperatures. The bottom grate rests on the ledge. The top grate is about four inches below the top of the steamer pot. You can add a third grate, for appetizers, about ½" below the top of the pot.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Robert, I just saw the picture of the little grill you are refering to. That looks like a very good diffuser. How long are your burns when you use that grill base as your heat diffuser?

Thanks,

Jon

Last edited:

Back