Mini WSM Build UK Build Help

Bec

Hello,

I managed to pick a free smokey joe grill at the weekend, I am really chuffed with it. I have been spending quite a bit of time on here and saw that it would make the perfect mini smoker, just one problem...where to get the correct size stock pot in the UK. I have searched online for hours and been to all the local world food shops but none of them are correct. Can any one help? I am super keen to get cracking on this project but without the pot its a non starter.

Cheers,

Bec

What does "chuffed" mean, sounds like you're out of breath.

Will Walmart or Target ship to UK? and what would costs be?

Chuffed means pleased, I guess that is a very British expression. They don't ship to the uk, if the did I think I would be really expensive and the import duty wouldn't help.

I know some other British/Australian expressings

Got in trouble at a dinner party in Sydney, when they asked me if I wanted seconds, I said "No, I am stuffed" The Ladies were shocked (older ladies) but here in the states that means you are full and can't eat anymore.

I'm going to be offering Vasconia pots ready to use right out of the box for a few dollars more than what that seller is asking. I'll be selling them with the bottom removed and bolts installed for the grate support. If you have both grates, you can be smoking as soon as you pull it out of the box. If you're interested, click on my ID to send me a message.

Uh.... I just checked the rate for mailing a 7 pound package to you and the Post Office wants $75. OUCH!!!

Thanks joe, I will look into those. I don't know why it is so hard to find the correct pot size in the uk, it's driving me nuts!

I think it would still be a bit cheaper, wsm are pricey in the uk. My other option would be to build a uds but I thought the mini would be a better starting place as I got the smokey joe for free.

Thanks joe, I will look into those. I don't know why it is so hard to find the correct pot size in the uk, it's driving me nuts!
Seems like many of your stock pots over there are described by their dimensions and not by their volume.
I don't know what cm size best fits the Smokey Joe but after looking at your restaurant and catering suppliers there are some different brands available.

Here's one...
http://www.lockhartcatering.co.uk/k...Pots&02020-KitchenEquipmentMaterial=Aluminium

Also the home brewing community uses large pots.....stainless mostly and may be able to help you.

Last edited:
Bec

have you tried around ChinaTown in London - wouldn't be surprised if someone there could provide one for you

Chris

Does anyone know what the exact size in cm of the tamale pot that everyone uses? I think I need something with a 35cm diameter but it seems most are 36cm. I will get this smoker made!

Your best bet would be to measure your Smokey Joe but my notes say that the bottom of the pot can be 13.625 to 13.875 inch or 34.6 to 35.2 cm. 36 cm is around 14.25 inches and too big.

The pot also needs a top measurement of around 37 cm.

My work have a US office so will see if I can ship it there, dont know what else to do.

Hi Bec

I felt your pain, believe me!

Don't know if it's too late or if you're still looking (or where you are in London), but after months and months of looking I managed to get a 28L Sonex brand pot that fits perfectly at a hardware store just off the Edgware Rd (Marylebone flyover end).

Here's my finished Mini.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?50733-My-build-the-first-Welsh-Mini-WSM

If you want the address of the specific shop, I'd be happy to help.

Hi Bec

I felt your pain, believe me!

Don't know if it's too late or if you're still looking (or where you are in London), but after months and months of looking I managed to get a 28L Sonex brand pot that fits perfectly at a hardware store just off the Edgware Rd (Marylebone flyover end).

Here's my finished Mini.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?50733-My-build-the-first-Welsh-Mini-WSM

If you want the address of the specific shop, I'd be happy to help.

I'm looking for one as well so any help would be appreciated.

Is there a standard for how thick the pot material should be as well, should it be steel or aluminium?

The vasconia pot that people use in the states is 14-1/4 inch diameter including rim (13-3/4 inch diameter without rim) x 13 inch high. so that's 34.92cm at the base.

Back