First Time Sausage Maker

IanBeard

Hey folks, I've been reading up on sausage making here and I'm going to give it a go this weekend. All the info here is a great help as usual. What I can't decide, also the fun part, is what kind to make. I'm gonna go with something hot chorizo, hot italian, something of the sort. For the other I'm thinking of something like maple bacon. That's in my head cause I've had it before and it was delicious. .

So, the question, has anyone added bacon to a standard sausage recipe? How big would you keep the chunks? Does it even make sense? Same thing with adding maple syrup, how much should I add for a 2.5 pound pork recipe? Ballpark amount even.

Also, gonna cook them on the WSM. I feel like it's pretty safe to say that you throw 'em on and check in a while later on the temp. I'll also take any tips on that.

Thanks!!!

Good luck with this. I have never tried sausage. I will be interested in how this goes, as well as, any documented steps and pics that you can provide.

Hey folks, I've been reading up on sausage making here and I'm going to give it a go this weekend. All the info here is a great help as usual. What I can't decide, also the fun part, is what kind to make. I'm gonna go with something hot chorizo, hot italian, something of the sort. For the other I'm thinking of something like maple bacon. That's in my head cause I've had it before and it was delicious. .

So, the question, has anyone added bacon to a standard sausage recipe? How big would you keep the chunks? Does it even make sense? Same thing with adding maple syrup, how much should I add for a 2.5 pound pork recipe? Ballpark amount even.

Also, gonna cook them on the WSM. I feel like it's pretty safe to say that you throw 'em on and check in a while later on the temp. I'll also take any tips on that.

Thanks!!!

Ian,

First off, good luck with this smoke. I just had my first sausage making experience last weekend and if there's ANYTHING I can recommend for a first-timer, it's to keep the recipe simple in order to get used to the process of making sausage.

If you're bent on adding maple syrup and bacon, the best thing I could recommend would be to mince the bacon as small as you can and perhaps crisp it up in a pan before adding it to your sausage, since you're not really going to be smoking with enough heat.

I buy the 3 pound packs of bacon ends and trimmings and use it for sausage all the time...works and tastes great.

Ian,

First off, good luck with this smoke. I just had my first sausage making experience last weekend and if there's ANYTHING I can recommend for a first-timer, it's to keep the recipe simple in order to get used to the process of making sausage.

If you're bent on adding maple syrup and bacon, the best thing I could recommend would be to mince the bacon as small as you can and perhaps crisp it up in a pan before adding it to your sausage, since you're not really going to be smoking with enough heat.

Sam has good advice. I started a few months ago and figured to dive into the deep end with complicated recipes and mixed success. Last week I backed up a little and ground up 3.5 lbs. of chuck, 1.5lbs. of pork rib trimmings, added salt and pepper, with a tablespoon of hot sauce in a cup of water. I smoked a few links and thought I was back in Hill Country. My son's hipster friends in the city want me to open a sausage shop. Bluntly, a simple recipe has a far greater chance of being something wonderful than a multi-ingredient extravaganza. The only other advice I'll add is to make sure you get close to 30% fat content if you want your sausage to be juicy.

Jeff

Back