Leg Kit for WSM

Joe F

TVWBB Pro
I have a 18.5" WSM "EE" code which makes it a 1999.
It has the older style, narrow-stance leg kit.

Will the newer "wider-stance" leg kit fit this older WSM without drilling new holes ?

Good question and I don't know.
I would call Weber and ask them, maybe they still might have some of the older ones available.

Tim

Joe, I looked up the schematics on the old and new 18.5" WSMs because I had the same question. The part number for the base on BOTH models is #63001. Not wanting to "ASSUME" anything here, but it seems to me that the mounting holes for the legs hasn't changed (because of the same part number)...so maybe the new legs are designed to fit the existing holes on the base?!?

When I called Weber CS, they gave me part numbers for the new legs and ash pan. The new legs are 63022 and the pan is 63017 (total price from Weber is $28.10). The OLD legs are 75801. They both fit base 63001.

So there you have it... and as an aside, we'll be visiting our daughter and my Dad in your neck of the woods (Vancouver and Camas) this summer! Let me know if you decide to try the "new leg mod"!

Thanks for the feedback Mike.
That is a logical conclusion.....they should fit.

The best summers in the US are in the PNW.
Doesn't rain much at all from July 1 to deep into October.
Cool temps and very low humidity.
Enjoy your visit.

Shhhhh....all that is strictly on the QT.

;)

Thanks for the feedback Mike.
That is a logical conclusion.....they should fit.

The best summers in the US are in the PNW.
Doesn't rain much at all from July 1 to deep into October.
Cool temps and very low humidity.
Enjoy your visit.

Shhhhh....all that is strictly on the QT.

;)

Joe, we lived in Camas for 14 years and in Vancouver for a total of 3 years. Came to AZ to get away from the rain and discovered that I REALLY miss the green up there! I worked at Southwest Washington Medical Center from 1988 until we moved away in September 2000...now I need these :cool: !

Confirmed. 63022 Leg Kit which has three new "wide" legs and 63017 Heat Shield do the trick. Legs are a direct replacement, had 0 issues installing. $47.81 shipped for everything.

Confirmed. 63022 Leg Kit which has three new "wide" legs and 63017 Heat Shield do the trick. Legs are a direct replacement, had 0 issues installing. $47.81 shipped for everything.
Nice !
Thanks for the report....haven't done mine yet but will be, eventually.

Leg kit and heat shield

Nice !
Thanks for the report....haven't done mine yet but will be, eventually.

I just ordered mine. The nice lady was reluctant to sell it to me because it didn't match the part number for my older 18" WSM, but I told her I would take responsibility. Mine worked out to be $20.87 for the 63022 leg kit, $14.40 for the 63017 heat shield and $7 shipping, so $42.27 total. I'm only a state away, so will likely have it in a couple days.

Can anyone tell me what is to be gained by this mod? Is the older leg set-up less stable? I've never had any problems with the stability of mine that I know of and am not sure what one would get from spending $40+ and take the time to install the new legs and heat shield.

I just upgraded mine yesterday because I wanted to mount locking casters on the legs and updated legs are 1.5" wide compared to the original 1" wide legs.
One note, in the bag containing the bolts, washers and nuts and the instructions have 2 washers per bolt instead of 1 like the original.
The dumb thing is, the newer bolts are shorter by about 3/16".
I reused the original bolts with the new nuts and washers.
Works great and the leg\caster mod works nice as well.

Back