Prague Powder 5-200

Sam Borys

TVWBB Member
So, I'm going to post this here because of the HECK of a time I had in trying to find information about this particular form of Prague Powder.

In Canada, this was the type of Instacure/Cure Salt I got from a local butcher, and considering it wasn't explicitly called Instacure 1, or Prague Powder 1...I was a little unsure of it's contents.

Anyway, after a prolonged internet search I finally determined a place in Winnipeg where it was sold (Food Supplies. http://www.foodsupplies.ca/products/results.html?class=ZA&parent=ZA) and I actually went to the warehouse to see the label for myself.

Here were the directions on the bag.

Use at 0.31% to achieve 200ppm nitrite in the finished Raw product. Use at 0.18% to achieve 120 ppm nitrite in the finished raw product. This prague powder contains 6.4% nitrite and 92.5% salt

And the ingredients:

Salt, Sodium Nitrite, Glycerine (MFG Aid), Sodium Bicarbonate (MFG Aid)

IMAG2822_zps2f0f2857.jpg

IMAG2823_zps7f1fa78a.jpg

So if the Prague Powder 5-200's ratios are 6.4% nitrite and 92.5% salt compared to Instacure's 6.25% and 93.75% salt...I'd imagine that the ratios you'd use will not change that much.

If anyone else has any advice on this, I'd welcome it.

Last edited:
After a little more research I determined that there's hardly much difference at all between the two. If you divide 0.625 by 0.640 you get .976....so if you multiply an ingredient's required amount for Instacure #1 by .977 that should give you the amount you need in Prague Powder 5-200.

5.66 grams of Cure #1 per 5lbs of meat, and multiplying that by .977 would show that I only need to put 5.52g's of my 5-200 blend in.

In other words, you're pretty safe in just considering this as Instacure #1, unless you think you have the patience to remove 0.14g from a TEAspoon each time you make a batch of sausage.

Last edited:
But no one will commit to saying that because that's potent stuff if you get it wrong.
I'm about to commit to 20 pounds of sausage using this stuff this weekend, so I'll let you know one way or another.

If I'm not back in a month, you know why.

Personally, I can't see an issue here with what you're doing. Personally, I would use it the same as #1.

But I never said that ;)

Personally, I can't see an issue here with what you're doing. Personally, I would use it the same as #1.

But I never said that ;)

Yeah, that's basically what it'll be. The difference between a level teaspoon and a somewhat heaping teaspoon don't make much difference safetywise, so I can't see .14% making a difference.

Back