My first try at making a traditional Polish Sausage (Kielbasa)

Sam Borys

TVWBB Member
I'm reposting this from another message board, but I figured I'd add it here because I haven't posted about smoking ANYTHING in a while.

SO, here are some pics of the process:

First, chopping the 4lb boneless pork butt down to about 1-2" pieces (easier to grind)

Putting my ingredients together (Super simple. Salt, Pepper, Marjoram and lots of Garlic)

Mixing it all up

IMAG2774_zps7a8cc3e2.jpg

Grinding it. (Didn't have many pics of the grinding process :hmm:)

IMAG2777_zpscad79c28.jpg

Putting the hog casing on. The butcher didn't have any small amounts, so I had to buy 200 feet of this stuff :rofl:

IMAG2784_zpsb4728ad4.jpg

IMAG2789_zps459bb14a.jpg

Here's the sausage coming out. It's not as gross seeming as it looks....It's actually kind of fun. Definitely a two person job though.

VIDEO0344_0000009501_zpsafa5606e.jpg

Here's the freshly-stuffed sausage.

IMAG2791_zpsd5d41fff.jpg

And it hanging for a little bit after stuffing...we didn't have any sausage racks so we had to improvise

IMAG2803_zps62b4c471.jpg

Then finally the smoking. I snipped a few clothes hangers apart and bent them to attach on the top grate of my smoker, from which we'd hang the sausages. It worked WAY better than I thought it would.

IMAG2810_zps1908503b.jpg

Here's a pic of the sausages right off the smoker.

IMG-20140322-WA0009_zpsbf561846.jpg

And finally, me eating it this afternoon with some hot mustard after letting it sit in the fridge overnight. They tasted fantastic!

We didn't use instacure on these, so I had to make sure they were good and cooked before eating...but I wanted to crisp up the outside and get them good and hot anyway.

IMAG2811_zpsaa76f29a.jpg

IMAG2812_zps9f45af4b.jpg

Clever idea with the coat hanger bits. I was going to make an upside down 'U' rack that I could bolt/unbolt to the lower rack that would extend up into the lid area, but your solution seems simple and gets the job done. Did you use water in the pan?

Jeff

Clever idea with the coat hanger bits. I was going to make an upside down 'U' rack that I could bolt/unbolt to the lower rack that would extend up into the lid area, but your solution seems simple and gets the job done. Did you use water in the pan?

Jeff

Yeah, I put as much water in the pan as I could without the longest sausage touching the surface. It wasn't a lot, but I figured it was enough to keep the bowl from heating up and charring the underside of my sausages.

Those look great. I do have to ask though, I used a Kitchen Aid to do the grinding and found it worked great. It was the stuffing the casing I had problems with. It fed out so slow and the throat seemed to get stuck with air and not wanting to feed through at a reasonable speed. Did you have that problem?

Those look great. I do have to ask though, I used a Kitchen Aid to do the grinding and found it worked great. It was the stuffing the casing I had problems with. It fed out so slow and the throat seemed to get stuck with air and not wanting to feed through at a reasonable speed. Did you have that problem?

My wife and I double teamed the stuffing task and found that while a little bit slow it was at the right speed for us to do properly. I don't think we noticed anything out of the ordinary except for maybe the slightly erratic speeds with which the sausage mixture came out of the spout?

Back