Wiki update for fan output paraemeters

Steve_M

TVWBB Guru
Bryan,

Just noticed the wiki lacks info on command support with regards to servo info.

It shows:

fn=L,H,I

Set the fan output parameters. L = min fan speed before "long PID" mode, H = max fan speed, I = Invert PWM polarity so that 100% actually outputs 0% and 0% outputs 100%

Should be something like:

fn=FL,FH,SPL,SPH,I

Set the fan and servo output parameters. FL = min fan speed before "long PID" mode, FH = max fan speed, SPL = servo pulse duration low, SPH = servo pulse duration high, I = invert output options (options below)

0 = no inverted options
1 = fan output inverted
2 = servo output inverted
3 = (1+2) fan output inverted + server output inverted
4 = fan on at max only
5 = (1+4) fan output inverted + fan on at max only
6 = (2+4) servo output inverted + fan on at max only
7 = (2+5) servo output inverted + fan output inverted + fan on at max only
8 = servo full open/close only
9 = (1+8) fan output inverted + servo full open/close only
10 = (2+8) servo output inverted + servo full open/close only
11 = (3+8) fan output inverted + server output inverted + servo full open/close only
12 = (4+8) fan on at max only + servo full open/close only
13 = (5+8) fan output inverted + fan on at max only + servo full open/close only
14 = (6+8) servo output inverted + fan on at max only + servo full open/close only
15 = (7+8) servo output inverted + fan output inverted + fan on at max only + fan on at max only

The inverted fan output takes makes the fan run 0% when the PID output is 100% and vice versa. It could be used if you made some sort of alternative fan driver circuit which would produce an inverted output. You could also use if if you wanted to use a HeaterMeter to control something you're trying to cool rather than heat.

How exactly do you set up the configuration to test your servo manually? Is there a command that needs to be entered where the fan only comes on when the servo is wide open?

"Manual mode" is set by using the menus on the device and selecting manual mode: yes, then using the up/down buttons to change the output percentage. That or you can use the webui to set negative numbers, e.g. -10 would set it to 10% output. There's nothing that needs to be done to enable the servo output, it is always on.

The pulse duration specifies how far it rotates in each direction. One number is how far to the left it goes, the other number is how far right. The defaults are probably too wide for most of the cheap servos we are using, so if you're not seeing any rotation at all that's a bad hardware connection somewhere.

OK this is awesome. I can now use my HM to cool my 3d printer enclosure. I was thinking about that the other day and thought about buying a PID, but I've an extra HM laying around and that should work just fine.

dave

The inverted fan output takes makes the fan run 0% when the PID output is 100% and vice versa. It could be used if you made some sort of alternative fan driver circuit which would produce an inverted output. You could also use if if you wanted to use a HeaterMeter to control something you're trying to cool rather than heat.

...so if you're not seeing any rotation at all that's a bad hardware connection somewhere.

I looked at my connections and everything looks good, but I am also a novice when it comes to soldering. Any suggestions on where to look? If it helps, the servo does pulse quickly to the left (counter-clockwise) each time I boot up, but never moves again. Fan works no problem. Could it be the servo signal connection? Also, for what it's worth, LED1 (RED) isn't working, but I assumed that was just it's specific connection, and was going to fix it later since it seemed to be a minor issue.

As far as I can tell, there are no other issues.

so i got the whole thing going. I ended up adjusting the screw on the servo a little more and reset the signal wire in the cat5. Success! took some time to set my servo range values, then i started testing everything. probes not registering. Turned out the 732 probes were just not recognizing at room temp. So i had it setup by the stove using boiling water to heat the probes and was testing operations. Probes were a bit touchy, but i chalked that up to the size issue, and everything else except Red LED1 was working fine.

So i set out to address the LED. I heated the solder and removed it. Then put the HM back on power and set all leds to turn on when the fan was on. Put the fan at 5% and green/yellow came on. the i touched the red led leads to the yellow connection, It lit up. So i re-soldered LED1. No luck. But it's gets worse, now the HM doesn't work at all. Instead of "no pit probe" at startup, i have 16 blocks on the top line of the display. Nothing else.

ARGH! I have no idea what to do now. What the heck happened?

Back