Mounting Tel-Tru thermometer just below top grate

Monty House

TVWBB Pro
I'd like to mount my Tel-Tru on the side of the main compartment, with the probe an inch or so below the top grate. I'd like to know grate temp, not lid. Anyone seen this one?

I used a similar arrangement with the Brinkmann Gourmet I started with, using a hole drilled in the side to put the probe just below the grate. The only possible problem I saw was the potential for rendered fat to drip down on the probe and affect its accuracy. I now mount my temperature probe just above the grate. If I'm using my Stoker, it has a clip to mount the probe that way. Otherwise I'll mount the probe with an old-fashioned wooden clothes pin (probe through the hole in the spring), or through a ball of foil, or a chunk of wood. I, too, prefer to monitor temperatures at the grate, but I believe you can get good results either way so long as you are consistent.

I did not add a additional thermometer to mine, but do run a Stoker. Replaced one of the top grate support bolts with a grommet through which I run my pit probe. The probe sits just inside the WSM's middle section and below the top grate. Since it only protrudes about an inch into the WSM there's little chance of it getting hit by drips. Also I don't place meats directly above it. Harry uses this method for his Stokers.

Super helpful info, guys; thanks. I went with the 4" probe (after much hand-wringing and thought), as I'd like to try and avoid as much of the around-the-pan heat as I can. I too am concerned about the grease drips, but I'm assuming that the grease will normalize (eventually) to the surrounding temp. Dunno--just a hopeful guess.

I'm thinking of simply drilling a hole that closely matches the Tel-Tru threads' diameter. And, I was strongly considering using high-heat silicone as a sealant. I bought Tel-Tru's nut & washer.

Mounted it today. I'm happy with it (other than what I paid for a 13/16" drill bit). As the 2nd picture below shows, a 4" probe is a little long. With hindsight, I would have purchased the shorter 2.5" probe, as you need to tip the water pan slightly to lower it down onto its bracket. I don't think it would be an issue with the 2.5", plus you'd have less chance of grease hitting it--all the while I think the probe's in far enough to give an accurate temperature. But, I think it'll work out fine. (PS Yes, the door clears.)

With the water pan in place, the WSM's are hotter around the edges. Are y'all worried that your readings will be off?

UPDATE: Used this last weekend. Water pan isn't an issue when you take the entire middle section--with water pan in place--over to the hose and fill it up! No tipping!

Like the gauge a lot. When WSM is up to temp & steady, the Tru-Tel grate thermometer is consistently 30-35 degrees hotter than the dome gauge.

For anyone reading along, this is another Tel Tru model to consider for the WSM (side mount)...

345lj82.jpg

BQ225 (w/50-550 dial)

2" diameter gauge face
Smoker temp range (not grill)
Requires 1/4" hole
2-1/2" stem

Note:
Will not fit into OEM bezel.
Bezel requires a 1-3/4" diameter gauge.
For this application the BQ100 works perfectly.

BQ100
20tl4bn.jpg

Technically a "grill" thermometer
1-3/4" face
2.13" stem
Requires 1/4" hole

Last edited:
I think I've got a couple projects I'll need to do. This looks great, maybe off to a side a litte, bu the shorter shaft would probably be better down there. Tel-Tru still pretty much the gold-standard for this type of thermo?

Now, the second part of this project would be busting out the crummy stock thermometer and putting in a second vent in its place. I've seen that done on here, so already have a good resource. Just need to start my shopping list.

Yes, Tel Tru is arguably the best of the analog therms.
Made in USA as well.

For best results use a "step bit" (trade name UniBit) for putting holes in the kettle.
Cuts a cleaner hole and you're less apt to knock a chip off of the porcelain using a step bit.
The brand names are a little pricey and I don't know if the cheapo version from Harbor Freight is any good.
Better yet, borrow one from your electrician friend <wink>

With the water pan in place, the WSM's are hotter around the edges. Are y'all worried that your readings will be off?

Those were my thoughts too. I had previous thread started about using the stock grommet that comes with new models. I thought about placing stem of bimetal therm through the new grommet. Anyone seen or done this? I would prefer 2.5" stem for the reasons listed above ( drippings and ease of access to pan and lower grate) but also want to avoid false high readings with the probe being too close to the outside wall of cooker.

Those were my thoughts too. I had previous thread started about using the stock grommet that comes with new models. I thought about placing stem of bimetal therm through the new grommet. Anyone seen or done this? I would prefer 2.5" stem for the reasons listed above ( drippings and ease of access to pan and lower grate) but also want to avoid false high readings with the probe being too close to the outside wall of cooker.
No reason why you couldn't use the new Weber grommet for the old school therm.
You would need a fender washer(s) to bridge across this large grommet.

Or you could fashion a combination washer/heat shield out of part of a small radius can like Red Bull or tomato paste.
One end would be open and trimmed back as needed with a tin snip and the "washer" end would have a 1/4" hole drilled in it.
Two birds with one stone.

Any of these side-mounted therms would benefit from such a heat shield.

No reason why you couldn't use the new Weber grommet for the old school therm.
You would need a fender washer(s) to bridge across this large grommet.

Or you could fashion a combination washer/heat shield out of part of a small radius can like Red Bull or tomato paste.
One end would be open and trimmed back as needed with a tin snip and the "washer" end would have a 1/4" hole drilled in it.
Two birds with one stone.

Any of these side-mounted therms would benefit from such a heat shield.

What an awesome idea Joe. Do you think the can itself surrounding the stem would cause inaccurate temp readings though? I guess not since you suggested it, but have you done this? Would love to hear if you have because it really is a great idea.

What an awesome idea Joe. Do you think the can itself surrounding the stem would cause inaccurate temp readings though?
I think it would give you a better average temp as compared to having the heat plume being able to hit the thermometer directly.
An aluminum can would be the best because it will shed heat faster than a steel can.

I guess not since you suggested it, but have you done this?
No, but I have two different Tel Tru therms (different applications) and a 18.5 WSM, so I'm familiar with the hardware/conditions.
Then I got to thinking..."thermometer in the shade" and automotive heat shield solutions.
Then the need for a large, fender-type washer.
Lacking something more elegant such as SolidWorks to draw it, the image I have is this basic concept with the top open perhaps even more. Probably all the way back to the WSM side wall.
The bottom of the shield would have to protect the entire therm stem of course.

Ak%2047%20flash%20hider-500x500.png

Would love to hear if you have because it really is a great idea.
Nope, haven't done it, but it is a simple concept that should benefit any side-mounted therm in a WSM.
I'm thinking that a small diameter aluminum can like Red Bull could be cut down/shaped to do the job.

Last edited:
UniBit sounds great. Found out after I bought the 13/16" drill that a friend had one I could have used.

I don't feel like I needed a grommet of any sort. I just put the thermometer in the hole I drilled and tightened down the nut (with the provided washer in the Tru-Tel kit I bought for $6?). It seems to work great. No smoke leakage, etc.

Monty,

Looks like that should work very well. For those attempting to shield the probe from the 'heat plume', consider this... that heat plume is actually the heated air's temperature as it is being supplied to the cooking area!
Will there be a great difference between that temperature and the temperature at the grate... not necessarily. All depends upon the meat load and how close to that meat load you are measuring temperature.

Monty,

Looks like that should work very well. For those attempting to shield the probe from the 'heat plume', consider this... that heat plume is actually the heated air's temperature as it is being supplied to the cooking area!
Will there be a great difference between that temperature and the temperature at the grate... not necessarily. All depends upon the meat load and how close to that meat load you are measuring temperature.
That discussion was about protecting a bimetal therm stem when mounted on the side of the barrel.
You want to measure an area with an average temp (near the food) not a hot spot.

Hi Joe,

That area does not get as hot as you think. I have my Stoker pit probe mounted through the lower grate screw holes using a pass through bushing (as supplied by Rocks). Originally had mine attached to the clip sitting on the grill. That all changed after taking Harry Soo's class back in January 2012. If it's good enough for Harry, it's certainly good enough for me.

Back