Unknown BBQ WSM Hinge

Gary Hodgin

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey folks,
Been away for a while. I just ordered a hinge from Unknown BBQ for my WSM 18.5 and was wondering if anyone has tried them. A guy on a woodworking forum recommended and I thought I'd give it a try. I searched the forum and didn't come up with anything, but wanted to see if anyone has given the mod a try.

They have a website with a picture of the hinge. Kind of expensive at $40 but it looks sturdy. Having to deal with lid is by far my biggest complaint with the WSM. Never seems to be a handy place to put it when I spritz or baste. Here's a link to the website.

http://unknownbbq.com/shop/

The one concern I have is that it's going to make moving my WSM a bit more difficult. I store it about 5 yds or so from where I use it and it's nice to have the 3 sections to make it easier.

The cover on my 18 is so friggin tight as it is, there's no way it would work with this hinge.
Unique idea, I'll give it that. I'm happy with my lid hanger mod, but I'd like to give this one a try.

WSM-Hinge1.png

The cover on my 18 is so friggin tight as it is, there's no way it would work with this hinge.
Unique idea, I'll give it that. I'm happy with my lid hanger mod, but I'd like to give this one a try.

WSM-Hinge1.png

Is it me or do the legs look modded like stilts??
Wonder if they do that so the lid doesn't act like a sail..

Tim

Can't tell for certain about the legs but they do look sturdier than normal. Had thought about a potential "sticking lid" problem. Could be. I've clean the lid rim a few times due to severe tightness.

To me, it looks like they just bolted on some square tubing to the original legs to raise the 18" WSM higher in the air. Probably had nothing to do with having the hinged lid.

To me, it looks like they just bolted on some square tubing to the original legs to raise the 18" WSM higher in the air. Probably had nothing to do with having the hinged lid.

Yea that could be it, but why take a product shot with those legs on?
I know when I have my lid in the up position like that the WSM can get unstable when a good breeze comes by. That's why I always rotate the backside of the lid holder towards one leg not across two.
Seems to me ( and just speculation ) they increased the foot-print by adding hat-channel, which made a more sturdier and wider 3 point stance.

Tim

I believe the legs are another upgrade he is selling to give the WSM more height, it has nothing to do with stability.

I believe the legs are another upgrade he is selling to give the WSM more height, it has nothing to do with stability.

Well that makes sense if that's another option. But like I said mine can get unstable when the lids up like that in windy conditions, so...

Tim

i would rather have one for my 22.5" kettle than my WSM....

The guy I heard about the hinge from mention that the guy is working on one for the 22.5" kettle. I have a slide aside on my OTG and don't use my OTS enough to warrant it. The OTS is only used when I need more capacity than the OTG.

They have a website with a picture of the hinge. Kind of expensive at $40 but it looks sturdy. Having to deal with lid is by far my biggest complaint with the WSM. Never seems to be a handy place to put it when I spritz or baste. Here's a link to the website.

http://unknownbbq.com/shop/

The one concern I have is that it's going to make moving my WSM a bit more difficult. I store it about 5 yds or so from where I use it and it's nice to have the 3 sections to make it easier.

Looking at a close up of the hinge pin, I think it could be removed Gary so that you could transport it separately, if not another pin could be made that would be removable.

I use the mod by Chad on mine, and it works quite nicely. I like the idea of a hinge, until I think how much heavier it will be to lift the unit off and on the bottom third..............d

Back