Frozen Brined Chicken

John Sp

TVWBB All-Star
Hello All,

This is to provide the results of an accidental experiment I did with a brined chicken. A few months ago I was planning to do a test run on the Apple Maple Brine which I was considering for our TG Turkey on the Rotisserie. I have a large family and so I decided to brine two chickens for the meal. Well it turned out that half of the kids had something or other come up (read failed to tell us about what they had coming up) and were not going to be home for dinner (welcome to my world - Volume I). I decided to freeze the second bird for later rather than cook it. I rinsed it, drained it thoroughly, and patted it dry with paper towels. I then double wrapped it with freezer paper and put it in the deep freeze. I was not sure how the quality would be when we finally cooked it but decided to give it a try. Fast forward to today. It was a crazy busy day with work, school, and kid activities (welcome to my world - Volume II). My wife was wondering how she was going to get dinner on the table when she saw the bird in the freezer. She pulled it out, thawed it in the microwave and stuck it in the oven at 350 to roast. We just finished it and it was awesome. Ordinarily on nights like this one we would get a grocery store rotisserie chicken. I am always suspicious of those - they use chickens which are at the end of their shelf life (hopefully not past it) and who knows how long they have been lying around after cooking or what they put on them? Not any more. From now on whenever I am doing whole birds, I'm going to brine an extra one and freeze it for cooking later...

Regards,

John

Back