I keep changing my mind about first time on WSM

Brian Cross

TVWBB Member
Thinking about a turkey and some ribs. I have a bud that owns a turkey farm and has gave me a lot of tips on baking a turkey in the oven and he smokes them for people on a big industrial job. Im going to call him tonight but I have a question. In the oven he told me to bake turkey breast up so the Fattier dark meat leaches fat into the white meat and it makes it juicy. Not dry at all. Anyone do this or at least does it sound like a good idea on the WSM? Thanks in advance! Im off the next 4 days so its going down Monday or Tuesday. Also would you use water in the pan or the terracotta pot bottom? I will take some pics. Hopefully I can figure out how to post them lol.

Last edited:
I usually cook mine breast side up and as long as I don't over cook them they come out moist. I would not use the water pan,I like the skin to be crispy so I would do a high heat cook.

Let us know how it comes out.

I assume you mean breast side down for a few hrs than rotate? If so then yes I've done that in the oven and on the OTG, It's a procedure outlined in JOY.
On the WSM I always cook breast side up also. I use an empty foiled pan with an air-space to save the drippings from burning, usually have to crack the lid or prop the door to get HH depending on the conditions.
Good luck and do post some pics!:wsm:

Tim

I've done breast up and breast down/then up on the WSM and didn't really notice a difference. But,,, brining makes all the difference in the world.
High heat hasn't been an issue in either WSM (18 & 22) and I run a foiled clay pot base in each one. Actually, I find meself partially shutting down 1 vent as the temps were getting too hot.

I've done breast up and breast down/then up on the WSM and didn't really notice a difference. But,,, brining makes all the difference in the world.
High heat hasn't been an issue in either WSM (18 & 22) and I run a foiled clay pot base in each one. Actually, I find meself partially shutting down 1 vent as the temps were getting too hot.

That's an interesting observation Chad, and I've run into that a few times when using a saucer on HH. Most would use a heat sink (like a saucer) to keep temps in normal BBQ range, but it can also help some who struggle to reach HH. Once it absorbs so much heat (to a point) it starts releasing it, and can aide in reaching higher temps without the need to install extra lid vents or prop the door or crack the lid.
Food for thought:wsm:

Tim

Juicyness has nothing to do with turkey orientation in the oven and everything to do with internal temperature. Take the breast no higher than 150F, thank me later.

If you can ice the breast only for an hour or so before cooking it will help to keep the breast from drying out before the legs are done. Even better, cook the turkey in parts and pull each one when it's ready.

Back