best dry rub recipe - pork ribs

CGariepy

TVWBB Fan
Howdy all,

I'm looking for a good recipe for my maiden voyage for dry ribs. I was hoping a couple of you could share some gen'l ideas. I've made my own a few times just tossing some stuff in and they are decent.

Wondering if some of you could give a newbie some advice. As soon as some of our snow starts to melt I'm going to get at it in my new WSM.

btw, we have over 170" of snow ytd, nasty.

thanks,
chris

I really like Cook's Country Memphis Dry Rib recipe but my wife thinks it a bit too spicy. I like it. Due to possible copyright problem on the web site, send me a P.M. and I'll see if I can get it to you (I'll need your email address).

FWIW
Dale53

3-3-2 ratio of Stubbs regular to Lone Star Dry Rub to Lawry's season salt.

Stubbs and Lawrys can found on the grocery shelf, Lone Star Dry Rub is on the web (Cheryl and Bill Jamison). The lone Star is a it heavy on paprika and the Lawry's is obviously salty - that's what led me to cut it into a 3-way.

I like Stubbs on its own but a little sassy for my kids. I'm still playing with various other ratios of these three products.

Don't lift the lid....

Hi CGariepy,

If you are looking to make it from scratch, there two that I tried and liked. I also got good reviews from family and friends:

Dude Food's Red Rub (general use): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCxL9PVVaxc

And this one:
1 Cup White Sugar
1 Cup Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp Salt
2 Tbsp Paprika (Use the spicy one if you can find it)
1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 Tsp Chili Pepper
1 Tbsp Cumin
2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 1/2 Tbsp Onion Powder

You can also check this website for other good rub recipes (they do have a lot of other good recipes): http://bbqpitboys.com/sauces-rubs-marinades

The second one worked amazing with the ribs. I would also say that you can season your rack a couple of hours before cooking it. I have done it before and the ribs turned out very flavorful.

Wow, thanks all. I plan on using the thoughts and links above to craft a batch up.

awesome advice.

chris

If you want a commercial rub, I cannot say enough good things about Smackers. It's local to Memphis but can be bought online (just Google Smackers BBQ).

As for homemade rubs, I think the majority of rub recipes you find here will give you great results. Some things I've done to punch up basic rub recipes:

- Grinding dried peppers in lieu of using paprika, cayenne, etc.
- Grinding dried mushrooms for an umami punch (esp. good on beef).
- Adding some apple cider drink mix packets (really concentrated apple flavor).
- Adding some dried orange peels.

So far I have been using Steve Raichlen's Memphis dry rub recipe on my dry ribs. I usually leave out the cayenne if people don't want it spicy.

I second the SYD all purpose. Simple and excellent. General All Purpose BBQ Rub

February 3rd, 2012Comments Off
If you'd like to make your own rub instead of using my SYD Competition rub, here's my recipe for a pretty decent all purpose BBQ rub.

If you'd like to try my actual competition rub, you can purchase it here for a better shipping rate than Amazon where it is also sold. Use the discount code “SYD10″ to get 10% off your entire order. Get my SYD Hot Competition rub if you plan to compete as that's what I used to win 20+ Grand Championships. Just add some MSG to my hot rub and you will have a winning secret rub. Use 1 tsp to 18 tsp of my SYD Hot Competition Rub.

Ingredients

4 tbsp Kosher Salt
2 tbsp White Granulated Sugar
2 tbsp Brown Sugar
2 tbsp California Mild Chili Powder
2 tbsp Paprika
1 tbsp Ground Cumin
1 tbsp Granulated Garlic
1 tbsp Black Pepper
1/2 TSP Cayenne Pepper (use sparingly or not at all)

I'm also experimenting with the batch I made yesterday adding a few teaspoons of Penzeys BBQ 3000 to this recipe and see how everyone likes it. Karen Putnam also has a good all purpose rub. My favorite is mixing a batch or hers with a batch of the SYD. Never had any complaints on any think pork related.
Karen Putnam's
2 tbsp kosher salt
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp dk brown sugar
2 tsp ancho chili powder
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp msg
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 to 1/2 tsp jalapena pepper powder
Very similar ingredients to SYD but the two go well mixed together.

Recipe for Rendezvous-style Rub, Memphis, Tennessee

It is probably the most famous “dry rub” rib place in the world. There are others in Memphis that many think are better. But this is the Grand-daddy. This is a reverse engineered recipe done by Meathead. As you can imagine, they do not publish their trade secrets. I think Meathead is a great resource for anyone who wants to up his game, especially his "Amazing Ribs".

8 tablespoons American paprika
4 tablespoons powdered garlic
4 tablespoons mild chili powder
3 tablespoons ground black pepper
3 tablespoons Morton's kosher salt
4 teaspoons whole yellow mustard seed
1 tablespoon crushed celery seed
1 tablespoon whole celery seed
1 tablespoon dried crushed oregano
1 tablespoon dried crushed thyme
1 tablespoon whole allspice seeds (hard to find, substitute additional teaspoon allspice powder)
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon whole coriander seed (very important)
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon Ac'cent (MSG)

A little late but try Chris Lilly's Memphis Dry Ribs rub recipe and technique of dredging them and adding more rub once cooked. You can probably google it or find it on this site.

I used to go for the "pop", but lately just S&P with a good smoke wood with a proper moisture content.
IMO that's a spice that permeates the meat, compared to a surface rub.
A glaze at the end helps, but spritzing repeatability during the cook, does add layers of flavor that a rub can't match.
As always that's just my opinion:).

Tim

Back