Simple but effective turkey breast

J Hasselberger

TVWBB Pro
Had a last minute motivation to smoke a turkey breast for Christmas Eve. The only thing I found at the local super was a 6 lb. frozen, bone-in breast with the "15% added liquid" disclaimer. Thawed it, painted it with some vegetable oil, put a dusting of rub on it and set it on a rib/roast rack on the top rack of an 18"WSM. Since it was just below freezing and a little breezy, I loaded up the chamber nearly full and did a "heavy Minion" with about 30 briquettes. I used a large chunk of cherry and two smaller chunks of pecan smoke wood. I put two 10" clay saucers in the water pan and covered the whole arrangement in foil. It took a while to get above 200° and I put the breast on at just after noon. With all the vents open, I showed about 280° on the lid. In just 2-1/2 hours the breast read between 155° and 160°, with the skin a beautiful cordovan color. I let it set out for over an hour and it was awesome -- juicy and tender.

I made a sauce by modifying a recipe I found here on the forum a while back:
1-1/2 cup homemade turkey stock leftover from Thanksgiving
4-1/2tsp butter
4-1/2tsp flour
2Tbsp Woodford Reserve Bourbon
2Tbsp coffee
2Tbsp heavy cream
1Tbsp maple syrup
coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Make a roux with the butter and flour. When it starts to smell a little toasty and begins to take on a beige look, slowly add the rest of the liquid and heat it to a boil stirring constantly. Simmer until as thick as you like it. I added a good 4 Tbsp of drippings. Super good complement to the smoky bird.

I have an old pre-thermometer WSM. I installed a new-style Weber lid thermometer a year or so ago and notice that it reads a good 50° to 60° cooler than my old method -- a candy thermometer hung into the top vent by its pan-clip. Anyone have any thoughts on the accuracy of the Weber lid thermometer?

Jersey Jeff

Back