brining in cooler question

Glenn Fleming

TVWBB Fan
sup folks, every year i brine using the ziplock back and they always seem too spring a leak, was thinking bout just using my small rubbermade cooler with no lining, is there any problem with this??? will be doing jack and maple brine.. thanx glenn in SC

sup folks, every year i brine using the ziplock back and they always seem too spring a leak, was thinking bout just using my small rubbermade cooler with no lining, is there any problem with this??? will be doing jack and maple brine.. thanx glenn in SC

No problem, but be sure to wash that thing out really good (BEFORE and AFTER) with a disinfectant type cleaner (I use Comet), because you want to be sure to kill all poultry borne bacteria. Bad juju there with raw poultry. The problem to me with coolers is that they are too darn big to wash in the house.

I suggest you invest a whole $3 for a new 5 gallon paint bucket down at the Home Depot or other hardware store. Besides your first set of tongs, it's the best $3 investment in the BBQ kingdom if you ask me.

I have 2 dedicated 5 gallon buckets that spent most of their lives just holding my vast collection of cheap BBQ tools: Tongs, basting brushes, forks, skewers, etc. But when I want to brine a bird or pork chops or a shoulder, they get emptied for the job. They are way easier to clean in the kitchen sink than a cooler.

If I take out the top rack, I can squeeze those buckets in the dishwasher.

Last edited:
A paint bucket isn't ideal for direct bringing as it isn't food grade. Google it.

I brine in a cooler also, but in Reynolds Oven Bag. Haven't sprung a leak yet, but I'm sure it's bound to happen.
As Darrel said, no problem using the cooler as long as it's clean before & after.

You will be all right.
40b0f2fe3b85fd209194352c14c40c7e.jpg

Go to your favourite local restaurant during a quiet time and ask them if they have any 5 gallon pails they are throwing out. Most restaurants get a lot of their product in these containers and they just chuck them out. I also get handy 1 litre containers from one restaurant that are great for homemade sauces. I have a 3 gallon bucket that is perfect for a 16 pound bird but they are harder to come by around here.

I use a big water cooler to brine my turkeys in...no problem, but we don't use it for water anymore either. Please make sure what ever you use is rated save for food.

thanx for all the replies.. have a small rubbermaid cooler that i have cleaned well, it should work well with no bag!! thanx again glenn in SC

Back