Big Easy - want to do turkey but wonder if I am not getting enough flame

Jeff Padell

TVWBB Pro
I am wondering if I am not getting enough flame out of the BE. I did a 6 pound chicken in a "beer can" stand, took a little over an hour for the skin to get where I wanted it with the top on, they I took it off for the rest. The breast was 163, and perfect, the legs were ok (maybe a bit undercooked) the thighs needed a minute in the microwave.

Anyhow when I looked inside the unit the flames where the gas comes in were about 1 inch long but soon there after were only about 1/3 to 1/2 inches long, shouldn't they be longer and stronger?

It was 42 degrees out, BBQ weather.

This is my first year using the BE in cold weather. One thing I read from the char-broil forums is to bring the unit indoors overnite to warm up. When I set it up outdoors on T-day I cobbled a quick wind break with two garbage cans and a pc of non-com plywood.
The turkey roughly took the 10 mins per pound that they suggest which in my case was three hrs for a 18lber.
I was gonna suggest you visit the CB forum, but noticed you already posted this same question there. Hopefully some body more knowledgeable will chime in here or there.

Tim

I have had the unit for about 2, and it has sat out year round uncovered. Hadn't used it in at least a year and a half and it fired right up, looking at how long it took for a 6 pound chicken, it took about a hour and a half which is 15 minutes a pound, but I just thought it would be alot faster and be more "fried" it was more of a nice roasted.

I am tempted to go to Home Depot where they have them for $79 plus my 10 percent discount as a Disable Veteran, and pick one up for $70 then I could see how the flames are. I remember when I first got it, it seems like it would burn the food it was that hot.

Could be the burner tubes are dirty or clogged up. Maybe take a brass brush and give it a few passes?

Tim

I took a brush to the tubes, but before I did I lit it and they are even flames all around, they are all about 3/8 inch long even around the whole tube. same after cleaning, the very first flame where it first comes into the tubes is about 1 inch. It is like there is not enough pressure, but it is a full 20 pound tank and runs my Weber Silver B fine.

Could be a regulator problem( I don't know:)) have you called CB customer service?

Tim

Do you still have you're manual Jeff? I was reading mine and there are a few solutions that you could try.. obstructed venturi's tube(s),excessive flow valve on regulator tripped, vapor lock at coupling nut/LP cylinder connection, or valve not properly aligned to burner.

Tim

Yes I have the manual and will review it. I will bring it into the house and let it warm up, Mass like Illinois is cold this time of year ;)

I will play around with it. Of course it never hurts to have two Big Easy's just like I added a 14.5 WSM to go with the Mini I built and my 22.5 - the wife said it is starting to look like a BBQ amusement park out back and I am already thinking of expanding the patio to make them fit better!

I burned out my burners in a gas grill. I replaced them and could not get enough heat. I did a bit of research and learned that the newer 20 lb propane tanks have safety valves on them. They greatly reduce the gas flow if someone knocks the valve off - to minimize damage.

If you open the valve too quickly, it energizes the safety. Try closing the tank valve and slowly open it. Now, try it. I suspect "all will be good".

Here's hopin'...

Dale53

Back