Beer Can Chicken!!!

Khanh Hoang

TVWBB Fan
Had some extra cranberry and apple juice from Thanksgiving and since the fridge is full.. tired of Tritip and Pork rib roast (it's what we had for TG)..., so I decided to try a new, slush together whatever we had on hand beercan chicken, What I did was brine the chicken in cranberry juice half quart, apple juice half quart, quarter cup of salt and water to fill chicken submerge in pot... for 14 hours... then I part the chicken dry, rub olive oil all over the skin, then coat the skin with Costco sweet mesquite seasoning.. waited for the performer to get up to 350 and pop the sucker in... 2:45-3 hours later, breast was 155F and Thigh 165F.. rested 15 min and everything was juicy and falling apart... while resting, I went downstairs to do some cleanup and my wife attacked the chicken... I under estimated the time, I thought it was going to take 2 hrs but it took longer, very cold (50F) and windy today in Southern California.. wife hungry,, what can you do.. so instead of taking a picture of a half eaten carcass, I'll leave it to your imagination... the meat btw turned cranberry pick and you can absolutely taste the cranberry... it was so moist, you didn't need any sauce, I tried some Lucille BBQ and it did not compliment the chicken (surprise as Lucille BBQ sauce goes with mostly anything)

Last edited:
Do you think that this would work with other "left-overs"? Not that this is a left-over; but, I tasted apple/cranberry juice, and I immediately thought of marinating (or is that "marinading"?) pork in this juice...whattayouthink?

I realize that this may not make too much sense to some; but, apple juice and cranberry juice, mixed together, isn't necessarily the same as apple/cranberry juice. That's why I'm asking the question.

Last edited:
Do you think that this would work with other "left-overs"? Not that this is a left-over; but, I tasted apple/cranberry juice, and I immediately thought of marinating (or is that "marinading"?) pork in this juice...whattayouthink?

I realize that this may not make too much sense to some; but, apple juice and cranberry juice, mixed together, isn't necessarily the same as apple/cranberry juice. That's why I'm asking the question.

Well Eugene, I like to experiment.. as you know, opened containers of any juice needs to be refrigerated, but my problem is I had no more room in the fridge and it gave me an excuse to try.. but to answer your question, I thought the sweetness of the apple and the tartness of the cranberry would work, and it did beautifully... I think it will work with any poultry or pork.. my latest test is pork tenderloin in orange juice and soy sauce.. been in the bag for two days now!!, butterflied and stuffed with spinach and cream cheese..

I just acquired the Char Griller Kamado and wanted to do a test run with higher cooking temps
Char Griller Acorn maintained 350F-375F for 2.5 hours, internals hit 145F and we were good to go... it's a keeper!!!

Last edited:

Back