Turkey skin- title states baking soda, recipe has baking powder, which is it?

Tim J

The main page with the beautiful turkey on it, has baking soda, while the whole salted recipe has baking powder. There is a difference here. My thought is to go with the soda, but I assume someone else may also want to know the correct answer?? Interested mind seeking knowledge.

Last edited:
Baking soda is usually used when there's other acidic ingredients to make it bubble and also to mask the bitter taste. Baking powder already has baking soda in it, along with an acidic incredient like cream of tartar so the taste of baking powder ends up being more neutral compared to baking soda. I would guess that baking powder is correct for the turkey, but someone who knows for sure should really be the one to answer. I don't want to ruin any Thanksgivings :)

Man...I need to start having you guys proof-read my material! I stare at it for so long I miss errors like this.

It's baking POWDER. The article is correct, the homepage promo was wrong, and I've corrected it. Thanks for letting me know.

Man...I need to start having you guys proof-read my material! I stare at it for so long I miss errors like this.

It's baking POWDER. The article is correct, the homepage promo was wrong, and I've corrected it. Thanks for letting me know.

Just to confirm, you didn't rinse your salted turkeys? In Cook's Illustrated version, published 11/1/2006 (but fully available online, 'roast salted turkey'), they rinse theirs. But maybe it doesn't really make much difference.

No rinsing. Recipes from the most recent season of America's Test Kitchen and recent issues of Cook's Illustrated reduce the amount of salt used, eliminating the need to rinse, e.g. Simple Grill-Roasted Turkey. Here's an excerpt:

1. Place turkey, breast side down, on work surface. Make two 2-inch incisions below each thigh and breast along back of turkey (4 incisions total). Using fingers or handle of wooden spoon, carefully separate skin from thighs and breast. Rub 4 teaspoons salt evenly inside cavity of turkey, 1 tablespoon salt under skin of each breast, and 1 teaspoon salt under skin of each leg.

2. Combine 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and baking powder in small bowl. Pat turkey dry with paper towels and evenly sprinkle baking powder mixture all over. Rub in mixture with hands, coating entire surface evenly. Wrap turkey tightly with plastic wrap; refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours.

3. Remove turkey from refrigerator and discard plastic. Tuck wings underneath turkey. Using hands, rub oil evenly over entire surface.

Then cook...

Back