best remote viewing dual probe thermometer?

Jason H.

TVWBB Member
All,

I have an 18" WSM and am looking around for a good dual probe (food and smoker temp) thermometer that also lets you take the display with you (wireless I guess you would say?).

Any suggestions?

The maverick et-732 is a tried and true choice. The maverick et-733 is just coming out and has some new features. Both are less than $80.00. Lots of people on here use the 732. The only problems some people have are the probe wires break or malfunction after some use but replacements aren't to expensive.

There are several: Maverick ET-732, Maverick ET-733 is new, iGrill, Thermaworks BlueTherm Duo, Masterforge, etc. Mav ET-732 is probably the most popular as a consumer grade product. I imagine Thermaworks is probably the "best" because it's pro grade -- but the price point matches the quality. The iGrill is great because you can track your cooks on a graph. You need a Bluetooth device to display for the iGrill and BlueTherm. The Mav and MasterForge are receiver/transmitters. I believe they all have alarms and alerts, pros and cons.

Last edited:
Ive had a number of different ones.. Mavericks etc.. they all usually work pretty well for a while then the probes die. The 733 is a pain in the butt. They decided to make it idiot proof with different meat cuts and made it harder for the non idiot to dial in manual temperature readings. The 732 was a better probe as i recall. All I want is a good manual set probe... dual if possible

I have had the 733 for about a year. I love it. The best part about the 733 is the dual probes. You can you each probe as either a meat probe or a smoker probe (ambient temp). I almost always use one for smoker and one for meat but on occasion have used both for meat. Most units the probes are either meat or smoker and they can't do the other. I have had the unit for about a year and cooked very often and have only changed the batteries once.

I have the iGrill2 and like it. It can handle up to 4 probes and works with an iPhone/iPad app over bluetooth. You can view the temps in a time-stamped line graph over the entire length of your cook. It's very helpful for overnight cooks -- you can see exactly where the pit and meat temps were at any given time. The graph also shows a big blip when you open the lid, so it's easy to check the last time you mopped or spritzed. I used to keep a note pad to record temps during a cook, but don't need to do that anymore.

I have the iGrill2 and like it. It can handle up to 4 probes and works with an iPhone/iPad app over bluetooth. You can view the temps in a time-stamped line graph over the entire length of your cook. It's very helpful for overnight cooks -- you can see exactly where the pit and meat temps were at any given time. The graph also shows a big blip when you open the lid, so it's easy to check the last time you mopped or spritzed. I used to keep a note pad to record temps during a cook, but don't need to do that anymore.

I've got the iGrill2. My only bone to pick with it is if you lose blue tooth in the middle of the night it doesn't seem to do anything and you might miss an important temp. It should at least be able to alert you that blue tooth is off, or if it is off for a certain amount of time. Then when you are checking the meat or wrapping, the damn alarm goes off non stop and you wanna hurl your phone. Also when you disconnect the probes you lose all your data which makes no sense. The maverick et-732 has never done me wrong as far as this is concerned. iGrill2 just needs some better programming on its app as far as I can tell.

My biggest complaint with the Mav 733 is the battery life. It sucks.

This thread is 2 years old!

Interesting... I've used a newly purchased 733 all summer, must have over 40 hours of "on time", and the batteries are still fine.

The problem I have is that the remote temps never sync when I first turn it on until I hit the sync button on the remote... it's fine after that.

Wow. I've had to change my receiver batteries almost every cook. I think I did two cooks with one set one time.

Yes, syncing is a bit of a pain.

Wow. I've had to change my receiver batteries almost every cook. I think I did two cooks with one set one time.

Yes, syncing is a bit of a pain.

Yeah, I'd be complaining about that sort of battery life too! It almost sounds like the device is not turning off.

The units used to sync when they were powered on, but at some point that stopped working. It's not a big deal since I always power up both units when I'm prepping the meat, so it's a simple task to hit the button and see the temps display.

I've got a couple of "cheapo" probe thermos. I check them for accuracy a couple of ways every other cook....or so. Has yet to do me wrong.

Eventually, I'd like to splurge on a nice thermo, but at the moment, I don't see why I should.

I've got the iGrill2. My only bone to pick with it is if you lose blue tooth in the middle of the night it doesn't seem to do anything and you might miss an important temp.

I have had that happen a time or two. I use an iPad mini with the app and I place it well within range and plugged in, which seems to help. I think you can export the data as a .csv file before you turn off the xmitter or unplug the probes. I did it once, but it sends EVERY bit of data, which is thousands of points. Maybe some day when I have a case of Lone Star and nothing to do, I'll try to figure out how to make the data manageable.

Jeff

Back