Fixed door handle - replaced with compression latch

Alan Soden

TVWBB Fan
saw a posting here where someone did this, after my door handle broke in the middle of a cook the 2nd time, decided to do it too.
Parts
10200071194_cc2907959a.jpg
[/url] IMG-20131010-00243 by adsoden, on Flickr[/IMG]
handle installed
10200208666_433e45476f.jpg
[/url] IMG-20131010-00246 by adsoden, on Flickr[/IMG]
10200280043_338dfc102e.jpg
[/url] IMG-20131010-00245 by adsoden, on Flickr[/IMG]
latch installed
10200084884_776ed263f3.jpg
[/url] IMG-20131010-00249 by adsoden, on Flickr[/IMG]
expanded
10200202726_1515ca9d14.jpg
[/url] IMG-20131010-00250 by adsoden, on Flickr[/IMG]
compressed
10200200626_2b0fce942c.jpg
[/url] IMG-20131010-00251 by adsoden, on Flickr[/IMG]
10200188996_3d15719bf5.jpg
[/url] IMG-20131010-00244 by adsoden, on Flickr[/IMG]

latch is rated to hold 150 pounds - door is tight as a drum now!

I like that!
Was that an OTC latch or did you buy it online?
I see you used a uni-bit. Was that just used to enlarge the hole on the SS door?

Tim

I like that!
Was that an OTC latch or did you buy it online?
I see you used a uni-bit. Was that just used to enlarge the hole on the SS door?

Tim

Both from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002DHHDEY/tvwb-20

I emailed the company and all their lift and turn compression latches use a 5/8 inch hole, the CB door is 1/2. I have the nomex gasket and CB door, so that increase in thickness was just too much for the Weber handle. This thing is air tight now though!

Ordered the latch today. A buddy of mine ordered it last week and installed it today and it works great. EXCELLENT alternative to the original Weber door latch.

Just wanted to let everyone know that my latch arrived last night and it took me all of about 20 minutes to install it into my Cajun Bandit WSM door. Very secure door latch now, excellent mod, well worth the cost of the latch not having to worry about what IMHO is a less than perfect door handle. Thanks Alan for the original post!

Any reason why this wouldn't work on the original WSM door? My handle broke on Sunday and the SS door is on my Christmas list but I'll need to use the smoker before then. Thanks & HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

I did these on two CB doors. Awesome mod! So much better than Weber knob.

Don't know why it wouldn't work on Weber door, but you really should consider the Cajun Bandit SS door.

I just installed this mod on my WSM door and it works perfectly! There are some mods out there that I think Weber should incorporate and this is one of them. A much better design & very easy to use. I'm just now hoping that I get my CB door for Christmas! Thanks for your help guys, quite the improvement!

(I was going to take a pic but my smoker needs a major exterior cleaning and it's waaaaaay too cold out to do that today!)

Alan,

The poor latch on the WSM door has always been a source of aggravation to me and probably everyone else who owns one. Thank you for posting this excellent idea. I liked your mod so much that I ordered the Southco Compression latch off of Amazon. Lucky for me that I had a $15 Gift Certificate which helped to lower my costs!

Bill

Both from Amazon

I emailed the company and all their lift and turn compression latches use a 5/8 inch hole, the CB door is 1/2. I have the nomex gasket and CB door, so that increase in thickness was just too much for the Weber handle. This thing is air tight now though!

Would this latch or one like it be available at a local hardware store? Menards/Ace/home depot/Lowes?

I ordered one of the compression latches on the Amazon link. It was delivered super fast 3 days. I was impressed that it is all metal no plastic. I also purchased the Erwin #4 Unibit at Lowe's. I plan on installing the latch tomorrow. I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread.
Both from Amazon

Last edited:
Ordered CB door and one of these latches yesterday. Have read a couple times in these threads about the handle being really hot, since everything is metal. Someone mentioned a fiber washer somewhere, and I think someone else mentioned head-gasket material? Anyone try either one? I'm assuming the goal is to add a layer of insulation between the door and the main part of the mechanism of the handle... But wouldn't the shaft of the bolt transfer the heat as well?

I planned on just having my Pitt Mitt or Ove-Glove on when I need to open the door, but if anyone has suggestions or improvements that keep the handle cooler, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

Ordered CB door and one of these latches yesterday. Have read a couple times in these threads about the handle being really hot, since everything is metal. Someone mentioned a fiber washer somewhere, and I think someone else mentioned head-gasket material? Anyone try either one? I'm assuming the goal is to add a layer of insulation between the door and the main part of the mechanism of the handle... But wouldn't the shaft of the bolt transfer the heat as well?

I planned on just having my Pitt Mitt or Ove-Glove on when I need to open the door, but if anyone has suggestions or improvements that keep the handle cooler, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

I just installed the Southco compression latch today on my CB door. Just as everyone says it's an easy mod. I was thinking about the handle heat issue and came across this silicone pipe tape at the auto parts store. It was 7 bucks for a 6' roll. Heat resistant to 500 deg so I gave it a try.
sxs3.jpg

Easy to wrap on. Just stretch it while wrapping. I probably went around 3 times.
jzdn.jpg

Installed on the CB door.
inoh.jpg

I haven't got to fire up the WSM but will post results when I do.
Scott

Back