EXCLUSIVE PHOTOS: 2014 14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
IMG_12741_zpsce32e065.jpg

Hang on...

Shouldn't be storing that propane tank indoors. Just sayin.

If you can be a smarty pants so can I.

I had wondered if you might receive one for evaluation or as a complimentary service from Weber with the stipulation that it not be shown or publicly discussed until a specified date. OTOH, it may be a pic from a "reliable source".

This is going to be fun.

Shouldn't be storing that propane tank indoors. Just sayin.
That's a very serious point. The propane tank still has the sticker on the valve handle...it's brand new, never used, never purged, and empty. It will replace the expired tank on my Summit once it runs out of propane. Still, I will move it outside. Thanks for the reminder.

You can barely make it out, but it says Ritz-Carlton on the towel.

just kidding! don't waste your time looking for it :p

Disclosure: This 14.5" WSM was provided as a sample by Weber so I could photograph it, write about it, cook on it, and share that information with you here and on The Virtual Weber Bullet website.

--

Here you go. Just a taste to get you started. I have also just published the Component Parts - 2014 WSM 14.5" article on TVWB, so you can check-out the detailed parts photos and measurements.

The most interesting parts are the shape of the water pan (a modified bowl from the old Weber Torch - Amazon link) that holds about 2/3 of a gallon, and the heat shield (what was described in the online schematic as "grease pan") that goes into the bottom of the charcoal bowl, not under it as with the other cookers.

In the shot showing the old WSM 1880 next to the new 14.5" and my old 18.5", you'll notice the new model is taller than the 1880. This was required because the pan was too close to the fire and the water evaporated too quickly.

In the shot showing the open access door, you'll notice the bottom cooking grate seems a little high. That's because this unit was shipped with two top cooking grates by accident (a pre-production error), and it wouldn't go past the bottom grill strap nuts.

There are also some minor issues with the size of the access door on this unit. I'm told that it's a pre-production door, and the production door is expected to be the best fitting door of all three cookers to date. We will see.

DSC03478_zpsc08d8c1b.jpg

DSC03582_zpsa98489a7.jpg

DSC03583_zps9d60072c.jpg

DSC03580_zps5e9a35c9.jpg

DSC03579_zps943b8598.jpg

DSC03533_zpsa923d98b.jpg

DSC03584_zps0aa29dd5.jpg

DSC03529_zps233c7ffc.jpg

DSC03530_zps518bcaf8.jpg

DSC03587_zps269f8247.jpg

Back