Breaking in the new patio with a 9.0 lb pork butt on the WSM

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
Last week I had a patio installed. Tonight I kicked off the fall season with a 9.0 lb Boston Butt. I did this Harry Soo style. It was absolutely dynamite.

My previous "Yard BBQ":

The new patio entrance:

The rest of the story:

Here is the pork butt, injected, rubbed and on the WSM:

Here are a couple of pictures of the pulled pork:

I put the meat on the WSM at 9.30 A.M. holding a temperature of 250 degrees. It only varied slightly all day long. It was done at 6:45 P.M. My wife did a stellar job pulling it and supplying sides (no pics as we were too busy eating:rolleyes:...

The pork just seems to keep getting better. This particular butt came as a pair from GFS (Gordon Food Service). It came as a pair totalling nearly 19.0 lbs. It was on special at $1.49 per lb. Wonderful pork and at a bargain price. A feller can hardly do better!! A special thanks to Harry Soo, for his great recipe!

I wish I had had the patio built 25 years ago. I flat LOVE it, in spite of it's modest size.

Keep on smokin':wsm:
Dale53

Thanks for the kind words, good people. We can certainly BBQ just about anywhere (and I HAVE) but it is NICE to have a pleasant place for the job.

Good smokin':wsm:,
Dale53

Last edited:
I wish I had a patio but I'm in the market for a job after I just lost mine. :mad:

I'm just hoping to survive at this point, but I do wish that I didn't have my WSM 22.5 sitting on a few bricks in the middle of my yard. It sucks working in the grass...

Jeff;
The main thing is not lose heart. Keep your spirits up (BBQ'ing will help). If you can't afford steak, right now, then eat pork (just bought a couple of Bone in Boston Butts for $1.49 per lb.). Then when you get your new job (we'll be pulling for you BIG TIME) then you can celebrate!!

I've been out of a job a couple of times, so I do know what runs through a feller's mind. This is not a good time on the economic front, that's for sure. "It too will pass"...

Keep on smokin', my friend!:wsm:
Dale53

I see you had a foil pan catching dripping on the lower rack, what was that like at the end of the cook. Were you able to add any juice after? Did you use a water pan or clay saucer?

I can just hear it now...all of the neighbors smelling the bbq, wanting some of the delicious food, coming over to your new patio and singing "Me and Bobby McGee"....

Beautiful patio setup, and awesome pulled pork! Perfectly done my friend!

Thanks for the kind words, good people.

Ray;
Since I foil when the bark is set (after five hours or so and internal temp hits 160-165 degrees or so) I just use the drippings (with discretion after de-fatting) in the foil pan the pork is sitting in. I discard the catch pan and early drippings.

I foil the water pan (use no water and no other heat sink). I have NO problem holding temps, either. I am totally enamored of the WSM. I just hope that the mini wsm (Smokey Joe) works as well (actually I have few doubts).

"Me and Bobby McGee" was a treasured old folk song, to me:eek:. Ah-h-h, the memories!!

Keep on smokin'!:wsm:

Dale53

Last edited:
What do you have under your WSM. I have been looking for bakery sheets to protect my deck but what you have is much larger. I want one. What is it?

What do you have under your WSM. I have been looking for bakery sheets to protect my deck but what you have is much larger. I want one. What is it?

I believe that is a drip pan you put under a car or truck to keep your garage or driveway clean. I'm pretty sure they sell em at wal mart.

Back