Should I wait til the temp drops to 225 before putting baby backs on?

Kunisawa

This is my maiden voyage and I've been witness to the ease of which the WSM holds 275, but I've got ribs to cook. I have it totally closed up and the temp is down to 262. Should I wait til 225 before putting my meat on?

I tried ribs at 225 once. I'll stick with 260-275 as that's what I learned from this board. Harry Soo, professional BBQ'r, says ribs render the fat better at 275 and make for an overall better product. I tend to agree. So to answer your question, no - don't wait until it drops to 225 and open that puppy back up. :D

I like to cook at 235 but I don't obsess over a set temperature. If the smoker settles betwwen 220-275 I'll just leave it alone, its not rocket science its cooking.

275 for ribs... always works well for me. Low and slow enough but not "crazy" slow. Same with butts. 225 is just too low for my cooks. Tried in both ways and don't see/taste a difference. JMO

275 for ribs... always works well for me. Low and slow enough but not "crazy" slow. Same with butts. 225 is just too low for my cooks. Tried in both ways and don't see/taste a difference. JMO

Gotta go with Marc on this one. Most of my cooks are done at 275 ish. 225 just doesn't do it. I am well over 2 hours per pound at that temp

Don't notice any difference at the slightly higher temps in food quality

Gotta go with Marc on this one. Most of my cooks are done at 275 ish. 225 just doesn't do it. I am well over 2 hours per pound at that temp. Don't notice any difference at the slightly higher temps in food quality

i will add my voice to the chorus. 250-275 is where I wanna be.

I've been holding 268-275 the whole timie. Can't wait til they're done!

They'll be great. ...but be very patient and wait. You'll understand when you taste them.

Do yourself a favor: keep a log so you'll remember what you did right and what you want to improve.

10 minutes to go! Really hope this works out. My wife days she doesn't like smoked food, so I'm trying to change her mind. She liked last week's gas smoked ribs, so my fingers are crossed.

I like to cook at 235 but I don't obsess over a set temperature. If the smoker settles betwwen 220-275 I'll just leave it alone, its not rocket science its cooking.

Ditto what John said....

What happened with the rib cook? I hope you took pics. :wsm:

Wha bout it Kuni? We're ready now!!

I set my digiq at 250 and I dont sweat temps either.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say thanks for the temp advice - the ribs turned out great! Such a different flavor than I got from the gas grill smoke I did last weekend. I'm not sure if ribs can develop a bark, but check out my pics and let me know what you think!

Next up, I'll brine and smoke a few chickens....as soon as I figure out how.

http://imgur.com/a/kRd7x

Back