Can a dry rub be on TOO long? (Pork Butt)

Daryl H

Silly me.

I seem to try something new every time I smoke something. Can't leave well enough alone, even though every "cook" has been received enthusiastically by my family/friends!

Today, I thought I would try brining a pork butt with a molasses/koshier salt/water recipe I found here. Then, switch back to something resembling the Renowned Mr. Brown style for the cook.

Turned out our guests could not come tomorrow, so I decided to stretch things out, and start smoking tomorrow night for Monday eating. I was already brining, so I let that go the recommended 12 hours, rather than the abbreviated time I had planned to use. Took the butt out of the brine, dried with paper towels, and INTENDED to put it in a zip-loc and put the dry rub on at 8 AM and give it 12 hours, as well.

Well, my brain slipped a gear, I guess. My wife was gone, so I thought I'd wash up the dishes and the mess I had made in prepping. While thinking about that, I started spreading rub on the meat. By the time I came to my senses, the first coat of rub was beautifully applied! I threw it in the fridge, but it will be 24 hours before it goes on the smoker.

Does that matter? Can the spices be on TOO long?

I figured the spices (Black Pepper, Salt, Raw Sugar, Paprika, Dry Mustard, and a little Cayenne) only have so much "oomph" to impart, but thought some of you Smokin' Pros might know more definitively.

Any thoughts?

Thanks! Absentmindedly yours,

Daryl

Though I've not let one sit rubbed that long, I see no reason it won't turn out as good or better than your normal BBQ. Who knows, you may have just developed the best method to properly prep a butt.

Thanks very much.

I figured, if necessary, I could rinse it off tomorrow morning, and then reapply a little while before going on the smoker. Seemed silly, but a possibility.

I think "don't look back" is exactly the approach we'll be going for!

Thanks again.

Your fine.
One time I did a homade rub that was on the salty side and it made taste like ham...

That butt is a huge ball of meat. The rub can only penetrate a small amount of the exterior. You'll be fine.

I've never brined a butt. I usually reserve that for leaner meats like turkey. Make sure you let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:
It might be cured a little but will be good eating.

With your rub the paprika and dry mustard are pretty much wasted taste wise since they lose their flavour when cooked but they do add to the bark. Instead of paprika I recommend ancho powder, it retains it flavour when cooked. If you add rub when you pull the pork then your mustard will give the meat some flavour. Just my opinion.

I have done this before when I had big cooks and wanted to get it out of the way. I think you might like the results

Thanks everyone.

Logic told me all would be well. Lack of experience told me it couldn't hurt to ask, just in case...

Bill, with the price of gas, I figure that would make for a $627 pork butt by the time you got it home. You may be able to do better buying locally.

Bob, you may very well be right. The rub recipe is from the "Mr. Brown" write up in the Cooking Topics section here on TVWBB. I've made it before and it has been a hit, here. You are correct about making for a nice layer of bark.

The butt will go on the smoker about 11 tonight. I am assuming all will be great!

I have done this too myself recently...i didnt have too much salt in my rub though. I also applied more rub to it just before i put it on as well. If my meat is done and not too seasoned i also add more rub to the bowl of pork and mix it in as well.

It might be cured a little but will be good eating.

With your rub the paprika and dry mustard are pretty much wasted taste wise since they lose their flavour when cooked but they do add to the bark. Instead of paprika I recommend ancho powder, it retains it flavour when cooked. If you add rub when you pull the pork then your mustard will give the meat some flavour. Just my opinion.

Have to agree 100% here. I used to use paprika in all my rubs, but read some posts from users here stating that it's flavor can't hold up to a long smoke. I also noticed little to no flavor from the paprika on the many cooks I had done. I migrated to ancho powder instead and like the taste much better. Guajilo powder is nice too, but a little harder to find.

Back