Applewood smoked chicken halves

Tim Murphy

TVWBB Fan
Dear Board,

So I got a new OTG last weekend and after making ribs the first time around I decided to try chicken halves today.

I just dusted them good with Tony Chachere's and put about 10-12 ounces of apple juice in the drip pan in an effort to help keep the temperature around 325F.

Two hours and 15 minutes I laid these on the kitchen counter. I think the juice helped a bit to regulate the temperature and it definitely seemed to add a bit more snap to the apple smoke.

The one went well with home made potato salad and corn on the cob and the other will be saved for sandwiches or chicken salad or something like that.

I'm having a lot of fun cooking with the OTG. It's different from just tossing stuff on a grid of metal and burning it until it's done enough to eat and I'm definitely enjoying the learning process.

Regards,

Tim Murphy ;)

Super looking chicken, Tim! Love the color on it. Was the skin crispy?

Dear Ed,

No the skin was not crispy but it was tasty. One characteristic of apple smoke is that it turns the chicken skin brown almost immediately. It gives the illusion of crispness but even the stuff that looks slightly charred was soft and not the least bit gritty or burnt tasting.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

You sir owe me a beer for making you buy that there OTG. On the other hand, you don't....as long as you teach me to make chicken that good. Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the education. :)

Back