Korean Style Short Ribs

Peter Gallagher

TVWBB Wizard
this is one a favorite ways to do short ribs - Super easy and super fast. The ribs are cut lengthwise, or 'flanken' style.

9675377140_c422f6fe5b_c.jpg

This is what we start with - The ribs are marinated over night in Teriyaki style sauce. At least my interpretation of Teriyaki - Proably has 10x the amount of garlic than most.

9675376910_cb5255aa74_z.jpg

The next day there really isn't mush prep to do, so we start to relax even earlier than normal - which is pretty early around here on the weekends!

9672152745_2a2bec3a1e_c.jpg

Everyone has seen this before -

9675376560_1a74a131bb_c.jpg

After a night in the fridge, and ready to put on.

9675380932_eb0efed574_c.jpg

Meanwhile, pot stickers are being constructed.

9675376274_9f02055c60_c.jpg

Meat goes on - These guys take no time - maybe 2-3 minutes a side

9675375704_3ecd1c1b47_c.jpg

a dog shot, just because

9672152021_385f343d99_c.jpg

... and plated -

Those flanken ribs look delicious ! I haven't grilled them in a while thanks for the reminder. :)

The kalbi look good. My gf is Korean, so we make this quite a bit at home, too. One of my favorite dishes.

Peter that looks absolutely delicious, I do not know about these ribs. What exactly is meant by flanken and what would you order from your butcher. And would you share a recipe on the pot stickers?
Well done.

Flanken style is always a favorite in my house, but I think I'll try the teriyaki next time, it looks delishious. Thanks for the idea!

Fantastic looking cook!! I absolutely love flanken style beef ribs with white rice. I don't make it very often because I can't stop eating it till its gone.

There is a Korean woman that works in our warehouse that makes this dish quite often...
one time last year, we swapped ribs, a taste of my regular BBQ ribs for a taste of her Korean Short Ribs...

well......

she never offered a trade again. :(

Peter, your cooking looks SENSATIONAL!
and the photo of your dog looks scary:eek:

Nicely done, Peter. I do love me a good kalbi. My local supermarkets unfortunately don't sell those cross-cut ribs, so if I want them I need to drive 1 hour to the nearest H-Mart. Usually, whenever I make kalbi, I take regular short ribs and use a knife to "unroll" the meat like a carpet (technique learned from watching Steven Raichlen's TV show).

Back