I saved my brisket with my own version of the Texas crutch

Gil Matar

TVWBB Fan
There's a long story, and a short one. Here's the short one.

I've done a ton of midnight briskets. All were great, moist, delicious. Great burnt ends. Etc... I've also done several high heat. Never had a problem.

This weekend I had my first problem. My butcher got brisket from another source. I didn't realize that the brisket was not the quality I needed until it was too late. I had temperature issues with the brisket throughout the cook. The smoker was at perfect temperature. But the brisket was not behaving as it usually does.

About 8 hours into the midnight cook I cut off a small piece and realized that I was in deep trouble. Taste wasn't the issue -- I know how to marinate and season it -- but the texture, consistency and moisture level were all wrong. It was not going to be the kind of brisket that I like to serve with nice big juicy slices, a good amount of tasty fat, and a great bark. At this point the brisket was at 150 degrees.

Luckily I had two things I could use. First, I had reserved my marinade (red wine vinegar, apple juice, Guiness, garlic, scallions and sun dried tomatoes) and already had boiled it. Second, I had a lot of beef broth.

I sliced off the tip for burnt ends and put more rub on the top of the brisket, and the exposed area of the flat. Then I put brisket in a doubled foil pan (for safety), poured in a bunch of the boiled marinade, and injected the brisket all over with the beef broth, and covered it with a double layer of heavy duty foil. Then I put it in an oven at 375 and prayed. In four hours a few friends and I tasted it.

Although it wasn't a sliceable brisket, it was falling apart and could easily be chopped and shredded. It was delicious. And since the top of the brisket was not covered in marinade, it still had a noticeable and smokey bark. Not as fatty and tender as I like, but everyone said it was delicious and all 60 pounds -- yes, I had four full sized briskets -- disappeared.

I have this site and a few others to thank for my ability to save the brisket.

Well, if it helps, last year I did 99 pounds of meat http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?35894-99-pounds-of-meat-%2863-lbs-brisket-21-lbs-beef-ribs-15-lbs-turkey%29-life-is-good

This year I replaced the ribs with 4 lamb shoulders. Here is the link from the lamb I did last thanksgiving http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?37428-My-first-Pulled-Lamb-Shoulder

And I also did 20 pounds of chicken legs. No pics. We just pulled the meat off the bones. Simple 2.5 hour smoke at about 250. Then put in a foil pan with some some chicken broth and kept warm at a low temp by closing most of the vents on my 22.5. Moist and delicious.

Back