HeaterMeter Password ?

Jeff O

First, so many thanks to everyone involved with project. I just finished building mine and gave it a test drive last week and it worked fantastic. Much thanks to all.

Now, for my problem. Can someone tell me how to reset my password for logging into the configuration screen for the HM? I guess I managed to input a password in there last week and I just can't figure out what it used. :rolleyes:

I've tried no password along with just about every other password and still no luck so I'm guessing I can somehow restart it to a default? The second question, is a password necessary on this screen?

thanks

I figured there was no Easy Button for this one, but I had to ask.

I thought there might be a security issue with leaving it without a password.

Thanks

There would be if you have it exposed to the outside world, but if it is just on your WiFi network then it is as secure as your wifi is. Of course if you have some nefarious wifi guests, they can muck with your settings if there's no password.

There's no way to get into it if you've forgotten the password. You'll have to reflash with the base firmware but prevent the config restoration.

You don't have to put a password on the web interface if you don't want to.

So after looking at this link I'm pretty sure I don't understand this reflashing business. I did some searching and see the term flashing mentioned but not so much on how to actually do it. Are we talking about reformatting the card and reinstalling or....?

Yeah, the same way you got the software on the SD card. Do it again, except add the step where you modify the command line. That is, unzip openwrt-rpi.zip, use Win32DiskImager to write the .img file to the SD card. Eject the SD card, but then put it back into the computer open the file cmdline.txt and add a space then 'norestore' to the end. Save it, eject the card and you're good to go again.

Yeah, the same way you got the software on the SD card. Do it again, except add the step where you modify the command line. That is, unzip openwrt-rpi.zip, use Win32DiskImager to write the .img file to the SD card. Eject the SD card, but then put it back into the computer open the file cmdline.txt and add a space then 'norestore' to the end. Save it, eject the card and you're good to go again.

All is well in the universe. I struggled a little bit thanks to some peculiarities with Windows reformatting my SD card. Don't know why, but it wasn't fully formatting (or seeing) all 1GB of space after I installed the software. Solved with another application that did it correctly.

Thanks for the help Bryan and again, thanks for your efforts with this project.

Back