Mini R2D2 - Rush Mini - 1 hour build - smoke tomorrow

Jeff Padell

TVWBB Pro
I posted about whether to paint or not, here is the mini I just built. It was easy as falling off a log. I cut out the bottom and drilled the holes (thanks Chris for the 14.5 string idea) then put in the themometer and done.
I am using a charcoal grate from an 18.5 OTS for the water tray grate. The coal basket is a piece of gutter guard that I cut to 3.5 inches and it just fits in and touches the pot and same size as grate under it. The 18.5 charcoal grate would fit on the bolts for the top shelf as well (see pic) but "just" balances on the bulge. I robbed a thermometer off my offset, had 4 now has 3!

charcoal grate from 18.5 at top

The charcoal grate does go past the pot lip if you want it to. But in the mean time - let er' rip. :)

The current lip is even with the bottom of the lip, I could reduce it by snipping off another layer of diamonds, which I might do, now I have to be careful as I put the pot on.

at $2.46 per gutter guard it is not a high price item.

Ok.....on that ash (vent cover) thing. I think some ash will eventually drift through the screen and into the vents. The bottom perimeter needs to be a solid barrier with venting near the top, just like the tuna can setup many here use.

Like this:
P1070108_zps6dfd9f7a.jpg

Last edited:
George you may be right, I will see what happens tomorrow, but I had the extra screening on hand.

the green thing is a gold pan!

I plan to do chicken thighs, the wife wanted ribs, but I am going to the hunt club open house and the BBQ Barn until about 1pm so won't start until say 2 so I think either thighs or wings, maybe some sausage along the sides.

for now I am going to use just one cooking grate, if I need more will use the WSM 22 or my offset.

Jeff, if you use Kingsford blue bag, for instance, ash will accumulate almost up to grate level with a full load of coals.

hadn't realized it would be that much ash.

I am picking up a SJG today will try both of them over time with the mini, how do the air vents on the side work compared to the bottom with the ash?

The bottom perimeter needs to be a solid barrier with venting near the top, just like the tuna can setup many here use.
No it doesn't. Mine is very similar to the OP's and works better than you'd imagine. The ash builds up against the screen without much of anything falling through. Definitely not enough to plug the vent holes during a long pork butt cook.

hadn't realized it would be that much ash.

how do the air vents on the side work compared to the bottom with the ash?

KBB will produce a ton of ash and fill the bowl to the charcoal grate during a long cook. My (very similar) ash blocker has been flawless during such cooks. Stick with yours until you decide something else is in order.

You'll read conflicting reports on the Gold vs Silver. Some say the Gold is better because of the ash/vent issue while others will say its hard keeping the coals lit/hot because of the cross flow of air. If you could try both, I'd be curious what you think. I have the Silver and think it works great, but haven't tried with a Gold.

No it doesn't. Mine is very similar to the OP's and works better than you'd imagine. The ash builds up against the screen without much of anything falling through. Definitely not enough to plug the vent holes during a long pork butt cook.
I just visualized with the volume of ash in the bowl some would eventually work their way over the vent holes. I guess it does work. :)

Can someone perhaps take a photo of the ash buildup after a long cook with this screen in place? I'm just curious.

Last edited:
KBB will produce a ton of ash and fill the bowl to the charcoal grate during a long cook. My (very similar) ash blocker has been flawless during such cooks. Stick with yours until you decide something else is in order.

You'll read conflicting reports on the Gold vs Silver. Some say the Gold is better because of the ash/vent issue while others will say its hard keeping the coals lit/hot because of the cross flow of air. If you could try both, I'd be curious what you think. I have the Silver and think it works great, but haven't tried with a Gold.

I bought a Gold today since the boys have been using MY silver whenever they go camping, claim they would leave it if I am going to do a cook but I don't trust them, also I wanted an excuse to buy another grill that wouldn't take up much space. I am going to do my first cook today with the Gold and then I will do a cook tomorrow with the silver and do a direct comparison. I will add pictures later.

First cook, without crowding I got 7 wings and 2 kielbasa on the Mini, the ribs I did on my offset (did them at 250 and 2,1,1 and they came out great)

I put together a stand to hold the mini for ease of access, looked long and hard to find the proper stand.

Back