Best Temp. Probe

Jeff Wildrick

TVWBB Fan
Hi,

I'm making up my Christmas list, and I'm thinking BBQ. In particular, I'm thinking about an automatic temperature controller for my WSM.

I know that there are a couple out there. Which one do you recommend, and why?

Thanks,
Jeff

Are you talking about a controller like a guru or a probe like the Maverick et-73?

I'll assume you mean a temp probe (wireless thermometer) and respond. For the time I've been on this board, there has been numerous discussions about two units - the Maverick ET-73 and the Nu-Temp. The discussion boils down to wireless range. The et-73 is cheaper but works well if you have a short range. In general, I think you need to be able to have line of sight (transmitter by the wsm and the receiver indoors in a window that can "see" the transmitter). If you have a long range or want to sit in your easy chair and watch your wsm temps, you will probably be happier with the Nu-Temp.

Personally, I have an et-73 and do not use it any more. If money is an issue, I'd spend it on a thermapen. You will get much more use out of a thermapen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
Are you talking about a controller like a guru or a probe like the Maverick et-73?

I'll assume you mean a temp probe (wireless thermometer) and respond. For the time I've been on this board, there has been numerous discussions about two units - the Maverick ET-73 and the Nu-Temp. The discussion boils down to wireless range. The et-73 is cheaper but works well if you have a short range. In general, I think you need to be able to have line of sight (transmitter by the wsm and the receiver indoors in a window that can "see" the transmitter). If you have a long range or want to sit in your easy chair and watch your wsm temps, you will probably be happier with the Nu-Temp.

Personally, I have an et-73 and do not use it any more. If money is an issue, I'd spend it on a thermapen. You will get much more use out of a thermapen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use the Maverick ET-72, mostly because I drilled a hole in the dome of my WSM and installed a temp gauge there.

I get great range out of my Maverick and it doesn't really have to be line of sight. I usually keep the receiver in the kitchen, and that's about 30-40 feet away and around a corner from the transmitter. Never had a problem.

One question for Maverick owners: do you put the transmitter on a table next to your cooker, or have you been able to magnetically mount it on the dome lid? I'd like to glue a magnet on the back of it so that I can just mount it to the dome lid, but have always thought the heat from the lid might damage the transmitter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Wildrick:
Hi,

I'm making up my Christmas list, and I'm thinking BBQ. In particular, I'm thinking about an automatic temperature controller for my WSM.

I know that there are a couple out there. Which one do you recommend, and why?

Thanks,
Jeff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a whole thread specifically discussing this topic.

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/9270072103

Personally, I have the Guru and couldn't be happier. It's as simple as can be and has never once given me an issue.

What about the Maverick ET-7? I need to replace a flooded ET-7 (left it in a dry storage container that somebody forgot to cover) that has been good to me. Amazon has them for $40 on sale. Better than the ET-73?

Thanks, everyone.
I re-read my subject line and post and realized it's kind of vague. For some reason I couldn't get back to edit.

It turns out that both lines of answers are relevant. My ET-73 bit the dust this weekend. But, I'm also hinting to my wife about a Stoker or Guru.

Part of the fun of BBQ is that there usually are lots of good opinions, and lots of good options!

I very much appreciate the feedback.

Jeff

I received a Maverick ET-7 today and it is horrible. I'm about 25 feet away, outdoors line of sight and the thing won't read. Horrible.

I got the wireless therm that Weber sells ..$29 @ Sears....not as "nifty" as some; just 1 probe, etc. ..... but range is adequate; I can monitor from the cozy confines of my "easy chair", some 25' from the WSM,... it works best if the sending unit is on the Performers table vs on the ground by the WSM .

Back