Southern Steamers, LLC rib rack

Cory L.

TVWBB Member
Anyone use the rib racks from Southern Steamers? Just wondering if it will fit on the 22.5" WSM? They are 18" long, 13" wide and 6" high. Thanks.

Hmmm ... it might fit.

Doing a little math ...

Let C = 11.25" the radius of a 22.5" diameter
Let A = 6.5" half the width of the rack's 13" width
Using Pythagorean's therorm A^2 + B^2 = C^2 and solving for B ... = 9.19"
Half the width of the rack's 18" length = 9"
9" < 9.18"
Therefore, it will fit ... barely.

BUT ... not sure about the heigth cuz I don't have the curvature of the 22.5" lid.

But, assuming it's a circle, using the same formula, the height of the lid at 9" should be 6.75" so it just should fit.

A picture is worth a thousand words ...

And you thought you'd never see this stuff again after High School.
icon_wink.gif

Update: Oops, discovered a typo in my math.

I'm just impressed you remembered how to do that! Anyone have any suggestions for a quality rib rack? I would like it to hold 7-8 slabs if possible. Thanks.

I bought the stainless one that Klose BBQ Pits in Houston sells and it has 5 slots. It has been a good rack but I don't like to use every slot in the rack as I like to make sure that each rack does not touch as this allows consistent coloring of the entire rack of ribs. You might want to consider a box of toothpicks and rolling the ribs (for me spares meat side in). I can get about 5 racks on each grill on the 18" WSM.

-Don

TravisH - Brilliant. Thanks. I have one question. Does this calculation account for the rib rack being loaded with full sized spare ribs? In other words, will the rack and ALL THAT MEAT fit in the 22.5...according to the formula? I am also looking at that same rack myself.

Back