**I'm going to the Dark Side and taking a Bullet with me!**

Brian Moriarty

TVWBB All-Star
IMG_0298.jpg

With a Pellet Pro WSM Stacker kit. http://www.pelletprogrill.com/stacker.html

I can hear the snickers and pitchforks rattling over this blasphemous act, but hey-no WSM was harmed by this mod!

The Pellet Pro hopper assembly is a digitally controlled 36000BTU unit from the fine folks that also make the Smoke Daddy Cold Smoke Generator, with a powder coated gloss black Stacker ring from C&C Grilling Co. manufacturers of high quality Weber aftermarket products, so I know its going to good!

The hopper mounts to the ring with 2 brackets and 8 stainless steel fasteners. Aluminum duct tape seals the hopper arm and ring gap. Very easy to assemble taking @ 20 minutes top.

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

Rolled edges on the top and bottom of the ring fit the WSM bowl and center section like a dream, and the leg kit stabilizes the whole assembly rock solid.

IMG_0299.jpg

Remove a lower bracket bolt, slip in the provided grommet kit (ferrule & stop nut) and slip in the pit probe.

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

The great thing about this is its very well made and the big bullet switches easily from pellets to charcoal with no tools, or modifications to the WSM of any kind.

This is gonna be fun!

Stay hungry-I'll post some cook pics as we go!

Wow. So let's see some pictures and feedback.

My guess is you'll need a lot of pellets and smoke flavor will be mild (which is fine by me).

Interesting. I'd probably have just left the WSM alone and bought a second pellet smoker, but I can't wait to see how you like it.

I've done two short cooks after assembling the unit, one low @ 180* using the Smoke feature on some fresh sausages, and another at 350* with Chicken wings and it went seamless.

Brian, if that's how you want to roll I say go for it! There are no hard and fast rules set for Q'ing or smoking, so it's a case of whatever floats your boat! And from my point of view, that setup looks really cool! And from your latest post, it sounds like you have it dialed in…! :D

I have all kinds of stuff hooked up to my smoker, and now Im looking at your smoker and..........hmmmmmmm that looks cool =)

Peter

The hopper and auger look a lot like the Traeger. I've seen this set-up once before on another forum awhile back. If you really like it and want better control of temps look into the Savannah Smoker digital control, not only can you adjust your temps in single digit increments but it also has an auto restart feature. Pellets can be found on line but shipping can be expensive unless you can find some other people who will chip in and split the cost so you can make a bigger order and save a little on shipping costs. I think it's pretty cool for the true set it and for get it cook, if I had seen this before I bought the Traeger I may have done it your way.

Brian, now that you had this a while, how about an in depth review for those of us with inquiring minds?

It is amazing at how many people I run into that are Traeger users, and not into the BBQ lifestyle and really have no clue how to use their cookers other than a grill. Most aren't into smoking low and slow and seem to have an aversion to propane grills as their excuse.
The common reaction I've gotten from a some folks here and other forums I frequent is the price which most seem to feel is too much for some reason, but I already had the WSM, and have Cajun Bandit accessories so I'm aware of the quality and prices to get them here, Pellet Pro has been selling these controllers/hopper assemblies for a few years as replacements and to DIY'ers with excellent reviews and has their own line of pellet grills as well. So its a bundled deal.

Would I go out and buy a pellet cooker to replace my WSM's? Highly unlikely!
Did I have to do any modification to the WSM to accept the pellet assembly? Just added a probe grommet.
It can go from pellet pusher to lump or briquettes in seconds.
It's like if you added a Stoker or BBQ Guru-to the WSM, the Pellet Pro Stacker is a comparable addition.

To be honest, I was a skeptic at first, but it has done everything I've thrown at it and I've not had any issues and could not be happier with my decision with it. I'll have to post more cook pics here, but until then feel free to take a look at my FB Album and "Like" if you dare! https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.510494269031726.1073741831.116187658462391&type=3

Last edited:
That is a very nice looking addition. Don't know if I can stomach the cost though. Especially with my large pile of kingsford in the garage already.

Back