My 94 Genesis 3000 Restore

Jeff J

TVWBB Member
I just completed a restore on my 94 Genesis Redhead, and though I would share. It was a complete teardown, and replacement of anything I didn't feel would hold up for the next 10 years with minimal maintenance. The grill was given to me 7 years ago by a guy from CL who was moving out of town and got no takers on his ad after a week. He called and said if I could pick it up, it was mine for free. I invested about $100 in it back then, and it has worked pretty well for those 7 years. I was inspecting it recently, and noticed 2 of the cross members on the cart were rusted out, and the burners were looking pretty bad also. So I considered retiring it, but just couldn't bring myself to do it, hence the rebuild. I worked on it for the last 2 weeks (and didn't take enough photos of the process), but thought I would share what I do have.

Every part that was sanded and painted with 4 coats of paint (2 of High Heat flat and 2 coats of High Heat Ultra), and the porcelain coated parts were cleaned with steel wool.

Lid and top disassembled in the paint phases.

IMAG0340.jpg

Cart in the paint phase with new lower crossmembers installed

IMAG0342.jpg

Misc parts in various stages of cleaning

IMAG0343.jpg

The CI grates were chipped and flavorizer bars were rusted through, so all new for those two components. I went with aftermarket SS on both, from an ebay member named rcplanebuyer.

IMAG0344.jpg

Almost complete. The missing flip up and bottom shelves are still in the paint process, but will be added once completed.

IMAG0345.jpg

IMAG0346.jpg

IMAG0347.jpg

IMAG0348.jpg

All new SS inside, with new burner tubes, 16 gauge flavorizers, and 9mm SS rod cook grates.

IMAG0349.jpg

IMAG0350.jpg

List of parts replaced:

2 Cart Crossmembers
WTB-1 OEM SS Burner Tubes
SS Flavorizer bars
SS Rod Grill Grates
Warming Rack
2 Warming Baskets
Igniter
Regulator and Hose
New Weber Cover
Thermometer
Misc. SS hardware

Total investment was about $375 and I suppose I could have used that for a new grill, but this one is special to me now that I have brought it back to life. It is rock solid, and working better than new. I look forward to a lot of great cooks on this beast.

WOW!
AWESOME! Jeff if you would like zbars for folding table and bottom table Rcplanebuyer will make them from stainless. He is great to work with and all the new stainless you recieved from him looks great! I am getting ready to restore my red 1100 and red 2000,would love to find side burner to turn it in to a 3000 like yours.
Are you sure Weber did not send you a new red hood?:)

Back