Weber is bringing back the 1880 – 14.5″ Mini Smoker

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I saw this on another site. All I can say is I hope it's true.

"An anonymous but credible source close to both the Weber Kettle Club and Weber-Stephens has reported that in 2014 Weber will officially Re-Launch the 1880. This rumor has surfaced a number of times in years past, but has never actually came true. This time there’s enough details to actually be believable!
The 2014 Weber mini WSM doesn’t have an official model name, although we’re told it will NOT be an 1880.
It will have a few upgrades as well. The new mini smoker will have an ash pan (which is actually a heat shield) that clips onto the legs like the 18″ and 22″ WSMs have. It will sport a temp gauge in the lid. It will also have two small holes in the lid for temp probes! These two holes will also make their way to the 18″ and 22″ WSMs in 2014."

There was a time that I really wanted to see Weber re-release the 1880 smoker. These days with the popularity
of the home grown SJ Mini smokers, they may have taken too long to make this decision. Unless it is priced accordingly,
people may ignore them and continue with the homegrown mini instead.

You might be right Bob. Could be a missed opportunity. I love my little mini wsm. Cost of a SJ and a tamale pot might be hard to beat.

I'll just keep pluggin along on my mini. I think Weber waited too long on this one (if its true at all). Just my opinion though.

Doesn't excite me either as I already have a mini-wsm which is a fantastic smoker in itself.
With the popularity of the tamale pot conversions Weber should just come out with a smoker body conversion kit for the Smokey Joe.

Doesn't excite me either as I already have a mini-wsm which is a fantastic smoker in itself.
With the popularity of the tamale pot conversions Weber should just come out with a smoker body conversion kit for the Smokey Joe.

George, that's a GREAT idea, and one that Weber could really capitalize on! They have sold WAY too many SJG/SJS's to count on owners of these to buy a mini WSM, but they would sure line up to buy the midsection to convert their small SJs to minis!

What might its capacity be? One chicken? Two? Two half-slabs regular ribs per grate?

One or two grates?

Rita

Back