Scotch eggs, biscuits, and cast iron skillet pepper gravy

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
This AM upon completing my pork butt, I cooked some Scotch eggs. This evening for dinner we cook a tube of hungry jacks, sliced the scotch eggs and placed them on the biscuits, and SWMBO spooned on some of her cast iron skillet pepper gravy. This is stick to your ribs good right here.

...from this AM:

...to this evening; sliced and on biscuits open face style

spooning on the goodness

and served

YUM! :cool:

Bill it's probably the easiest thing you'll ever cook. I like Jimmy Deans hot but SWMBO only does regular. There's enough sausage to cover half a dozen eggs in one lb of sausage. You take 1/6 of the tube of sausage (I just cut the whole tube open) pat it out in your hand, wrap it around a boiled egg, and roll it in your hands to get good coverage (like making meat balls). Slap them on a 225 - 250* smoker for a couple hours and your done. I like to put them on a disposable grill mat.

Today, I cooked a second whole chub for a buddy. That I just cut and fry in a cast iron skillet like any other sausage. It tastes better than Cracker Barrel's smoked sausage!

The gravy however is an art unto itself. Make a roux in a cast iron skillet. (A roux is a mixture of equal parts of oil, butter, or fat renderings and flour. The roux mixture is cooked at least three to five minutes over low heat to remove the raw flavor of the flour, then the liquid is added which thickens into the gravy. The roux method is least likely to produce lumpy gravy.) To make a roux gravy, the basic formula is 2 tablespoons fat, 2 tablespoons flour, and 1 cup of liquid to equal 1 cup of gravy. SWMBO adds pepper and a little thyme to taste.

Last edited:
oh Baby yea... Damn of all the days i get back on the TVWBB today is that day and I have to see all of this food... where is that drooling emoticon?

Back