Bear Claws

So I assume use these Chad.

Then there are these, though not called bear claws.

Just a couple of several that I have came across. Didn't know if one type or brand is better than another.

I have the brown plastic pair, works GREAT!
look on eBay, I got'em for 7.99 + 2 bucks shipping BEST deal EVER!
(butt that was a few years ago)

I have the ones in the second link posted above...they work great. I don't remember how much I paid but I did get them from Home Depot during the big week-end before Memorial Day Charcoal Sale.

I use the second ones from Charcoal Companion. Picked them up at Bass Pro for $15. I love them.pulled a butt in about a minute.

I was given a pair like in picture/link #2 for my birthday a couple weeks back but haven't tried them yet.

I ran into these online. Haven't bought them yet. They look nice, but pricier. Meat Rakes What I like about them is I think I can also use them to "jaccard" my bacon before cooking it, to help keep it from curling. I know a couple of people that have them and like them quite a bit.

Note: Jaccard = fancy French word for poking a series of small holes to help break long fibers.

I just ordered these $12.95 from EBay
null_zps9302cdd1.jpg

I got a pair from Williams Sonoma. The rakes are made of metal rather than plastic. I've read the bear claws wear down over time. They were 12$.

For me, I like to pull pork with my bare hands so that I can tell exactly what's ending up in the pile, and if there are any touher chunks, etc, and how tough. Also, pulled pork is supposed to be just that...pulled, not shredded. The trouble is, I'd have to let my shoulders cool down about 4 hours to be able to do that, which is just not always feasible. For this, I loooove my bear paws. I have the new Grizzly paws from Bear Paws (or at least that's what I think they're called) and I like 'em even better than my original Bear Paws. It just keeps me from having to get skin grafts after pulling 200deg pork :)

I don't use these in competition because they shred and I like to separate each muscle, but typically when I'm feeding a crowd and just want to break down shoulders quickly these work outstanding. I did two on Friday that took about 15 seconds each. I don't know anything about them becoming dull, mine are still just as sharp as the day I got 'em, but it would actually be an asset to me if they weren't quite so sharp...lol. To me it would make no difference, but their dulling would be no issue if the butts are tender as they should be.

Last edited:

Back