Whole Brisket / Packer wsm 18.5 or 22.5 ?

Boston Jeff

TVWBB Fan
I have a question on cooking a whole brisket . I have done many of them on my old UDS with no problem . Now to the point of my post . I want to use my 18.5 wsm , due to the fuel consumption compared to my 22.5 , but the brisket is way to big for it . Is it worth the trouble to remove the flat from the point and cook both pieces on my 18.5 or would it be better to cook the whole thing on my 22.5 . Any opinions appreciated .

Jeff

Have never seen a brisket that sold commercially that would not fit on an 18.5 with a little ingenuity. I. E., build a hump in the middle so the brisket goes up and over it, effectively shortening its length.

My first cook on the 18"...

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

Thanks bill , didn't know if doing that would have an effect on the cook or not , guess I will hump the brisket . Oh wait , put a bend in it instead , lol . Nice pics Alan .

Last edited:
Thanks bill , didn't know if doing that would have an effect on the cook or not , guess I will hump the brisket . Oh wait , put a bend in it instead , lol . Nice pics Alan .

+1 for nice pics, Alan.

I had the "Oh, s**t!" reaction when I first tried to put a whole packer - 16 pounds or so, I think - on my 18.5 (didn't own the 22.5 yet). I ended up taking several leftover patio pavers and wrapping them in foil and putting them in the center of the grate and draping the brisket over them. After several hours, it'll start to shrink down and I seem to remember being able to take the pavers out and letting it lay flat.

Let us know how it turns out, Jeff.

I ended up taking several leftover patio pavers and wrapping them in foil and putting them in the center of the grate and draping the brisket over them. After several hours, it'll start to shrink down and I seem to remember being able to take the pavers out and letting it lay flat.

I'll have to remember that trick... You know if I ever get the guts to try a packer.

One other method not mentioned is to fold the brisket on top of itself. Just make sure the flat end is sitting on the grate and is fully covered up by the water/grease pan.

You really don't want any part of the flat on the outer edge of the smoker as it will burn/overcook.

This is the way I've done it in the past. Fold the point end over the flat end. It seems almost natural to do it this way with how still the brisket will stay.

At some point in the cooking process, the brisket will automatically revert to a flat layout so you may need to re-position it at some point.

After smoking for 6-7 hours, you should be able to lay it flat on the grate to finish it off.

Honestly, if you own both the 22 1/2 and the 18 1/2 use the 22 1/2 and spend the extra $4 on charcoal, if you only have the 18 1/2 jam it between those handles on the top grate until it shrinks.

I used to "shoehorn" packers between the handles of my 18.5" WSM with foil covering the outside 4" of the grate where it's hotter. Now I just use my Performer/Smoke EZ combination. I use a little more charcoal, but it's sure nice to lay that sucker out flat. If you have a 22.5, use it!

There really is nothing wrong with separating the point from the flat either. The point is easy to cook given the amount of fat. Lots of people cook flats only. It is an option for you but I like the 22 option as well, makes more sense for a big brisket when you have the 22 already.

Honestly, if you own both the 22 1/2 and the 18 1/2 use the 22 1/2 and spend the extra $4 on charcoal, if you only have the 18 1/2 jam it between those handles on the top grate until it shrinks.

Since you own both the 22 and the 18, why not just use the charcoal ring from the 18 in the 22???

I agree with both of these posts. Having owned both the 18" WSM first and the 22" WSM now, the fuel consumption is not that significant between the two models. In fact I never noticed a difference anyway. A well sealed WSM will be very efficient. I use the smaller charcoal ring from the 18" model in my 22" and it provides me with more than enough time to cook a full packer on there for the duration. I sold my 18" and happily bought the 22". Since you own both, why not use both? Or better yet, sell the 18" model and use the money to stock up on charcoal and never worry about fitting a packer on a 18" again. :)

Back