What are you using for rubs?

Bobby P

TVWBB Super Fan
What are you using for commercially available rubs? I've been mixing my own and am very happy with it. Just want to know what everyone else is using. I like to try different things so a couple of new flavor profiles would be something to look forward to. So show me what you got.

I have a big shaker of Duke's mixture.
Meaning, some of it is my homemade, and some of it is partial containers from different store bought rubs.
Lots of flavor profiles in there, I guess.
My taste buds are not too refined. :)

I have a big shaker of Duke's mixture.
Meaning, some of it is my homemade, and some of it is partial containers from different store bought rubs.
Lots of flavor profiles in there, I guess.
My taste buds are not too refined. :)

So what store brands are you using? :confused:

I haven't purchased any prepackaged rubs. I prefer to take individual ingredients and apply them to my liking depending on the meat. It's fun changing things around from smoke to smoke...:wsm:

Penzey's BBQ 3000, Blues Hog, Tasty Licks original, Weber Classic, McCormick's Applewood Rub, to name a few.

Thanks Bob! This is what I want to know. There are a bunch of websites out there peddling their wares and I just want to know where to start.

Anyone else?

Oakridge BBQ - Secret Weapon Chicken & Pork. Also their Black Opps is pretty killer on brisket.

Simply Marvelous BBQ - Cherry Rub is another gooder i just recently acquired

Last edited:
I'll add some additional Simply Marvelous BBQ Rubs because they are .... simply marvelous !
Pecan Rub and Spicey Apple Rub

My standby is Slap Yo Daddy, as made in class.

Penzey's BBQ 3000, Bad Byron's Butt Rub, Penzey's Galena Street, Uncle Bob's Rib Rub, Daddy's Sweat Love, and on and on...

I buy store bought rubs when on sale, either a two for one or half off..
I like all the Weber ones and a few of the McK brand, Montreal Chicken is a good one, and the Maple or Apple wood ones are good.
Three little pigs is a good one for pork or poultry, and Famous Daves has a few also..

Tim

If store bought i usually get Lawry's or Old Bay. 95% of the time its Kosher Salt, Fresh Cracked Black Pepper, Granulated Garlic and Cumin. I never like the rub to be the star of the show.

Back